Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[suggestion] new default dock

Started by ldm, February 02, 2015, 07:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldm

drew

I will second that  8) I usually replace wbar with plank anyway. Plank for those who don't know is basically a lightweight version of docky.

pavroo

Honestly I don't like docky, cairo-dock, not sure I will like plank :(
My drastic compromise is: remove wbar and use only one default bottom panel for every sparky spin.
What do you think?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

drew

Your call; if you like wbar, keep it. It's your distro after all  8)

pavroo

Yes, but the most important point of mater is - I don't make it for myself only :)
So we could find a compromise to make you and me happy.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

ldm

I like Wbar too, but Wbar cannot be configured as "always-on-top".
You can keep Wbar as default... no problem and everyone can install their preferred dock

seppalta

Wbar has 2 faults:  (1) Does not center nicely on an extended desktop dual monitor set-up;  (2)  Leaves previous background in a rotating wallpaper set-up.   See photos in http://lxlinux.com/wbar.html.  I like fbpanel simply because it reproduces the wallpaper picture in the desktop pager plugin.  Also, panels that pop-out and -about are bad for people with vertigo or tendencies to vertigo.

ldm

Quote from: seppalta on February 03, 2015, 09:36:52 PMpanels that pop-out and -about are bad for people with vertigo or tendencies to vertigo.

are you serious? :o
I like that effect

seppalta

Quote from: ldm on February 03, 2015, 10:51:31 PM
are you serious? :o
I like that effect
Idm, apparently you do not suffer from vertigo.  Yes, I'm very serious.  Vertigo is a sensation of spinning caused by a (usually temporary)  defective physical "gyroscope" that exists in your inner ear.   Once you have experienced a few vertigo attacks, your system can become sensitive to any rapid motion around or near you, and may cause you to experience the symptoms that occur with a real  vertigo attack even though you are not having an attack.   A few minutes of a compositing window manager actively  fading, exploding, rotating, contorting, etc will set me vomiting if I don't escape quick enough.  Of course, this does not apply to wbar because I think you can easily turn-off the jump-out feature.

drew

Wow, that is pretty extreme. I suffer from vertigo myself (from wisdom teeth building pressure in my inner ear), but nothing as bad as that.

Wombat

From previous reply-
QuoteWbar has 2 faults:  (1) Does not center nicely on an extended desktop dual monitor set-up

For dual monitor I've duplicated the icons so they appear on both monitors, with a seldom used icon in the centre  - in this config= 12345654321
and it seems to be a better setup - access from both monitors.

The other problem -
Quote(2)  Leaves previous background in a rotating wallpaper set-up
does appear worse in the dual monitor setup tho.

View the most recent posts on the forum