Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum Linuxiarze.pl

Author Topic: how to allow 1 digit passwords on installation  (Read 107 times)

Offline barfly

how to allow 1 digit passwords on installation
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:22 pm »
Hi- I am new to sparkylinux and have had to abandon the installation as the installer insists on a complex password.  I only ever use a single digit login on my machines at

home; this is the only distribution I have come across that insists on these arbitrary rules on install.

No-one has physical access to my computer except me and I detest unmanageable passwords.

I would like to try sparky as it intrigues me but this is a total non-starter for me.

If I cannot alter this install behaviour I'll stick with Kubuntu.

Can anybody suggest a remedy.  I have tried editing the /etc/pam.d folder files with no success.

Regards, Tony.

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
Re: how to allow 1 digit passwords on installation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
You have two solutions for that:

1. Install Sparky having 6 digits (at least) password as required; after the first login change your password, by the command:
Code: [Select]
passwdand root password if needed:
sudo passwd root
2. Running Sparky live, before installation, edit a Calamares user config file:
sudo nano /usr/share/calamares/modules/users.conf(use different editor than nano if you'd like)
and go to "libpwquality:" option changing:
- minlen=6to your number of digits, then save the file and run the installer as normal.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux at irc.freenode.net

Offline barfly

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 02:10:49 pm »
Pavroo - thank you for such a prompt response.   Your suggestion 1) is the method I normally use, but the install insisted on 14 digits with a capitals, numeral and sign.

I have been using linux since the very first version of Mandrake, and have never encountered this level of password complexity insistence in an installer-it is baffling to me

why anyone would make this a part of an otherwise simple install-it is certainly not the way to attract the Windows crowd.

I'll try your second suggestion and report back.

Cheers, Tony.

Offline lami07

• Global Moderator
    • Sparky Community Repos
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 02:36:36 pm »
  14 digits with a capitals, numeral and sign
0.o what?? That must be installer bug of some kind. Minimal password length is set 6 characters.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:43:16 pm by lami07 »
Quote from: forum rules
When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at irc.freenode.net

Offline barfly

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:20:40 pm »
Well, I tried again and now I can't get past the language selection screen, "waiting for modules" and hangs forever.

I downloaded the image again and put it on a different usb stick but the same result, checked the MD5 sum and it's all become too hard.

Until the installer for Sparkylinux is improved I don't want to waste any more time.  A whole day wasted, and I 'aint got that many left.

Cheers to you all and goodbye, Tony.