Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Trying to add brightnes controler

Started by jacatone12, December 02, 2023, 12:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacatone12

Installed the latest SL KDE version on an old Dell Inspiron 1420 which has a rather dimm display.When trying to install brightnes-controller from a ppa I got the follow result:

admin1@inspiron1420:~$ sudo apt-cache search brigtness-controller
admin1@inspiron1420:~$   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apandada1/brightness-controller
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found
admin1@inspiron1420:~$

Does this mean I need to install an 'add-apt-repository' feature? Anyone know a solution?

Filemon7

Solution is adding it by pip python packages installer: pip install brightness-controller-linux

On github there is writen that you need also PyQt5  so install by the same method and from apt ddcutil also libddcutil4  should help and restart.

I installed those both to test if it works it shows thst not find ddcutil but sliders working.

You need install pip by sudo apt install pip or pip3 depends of python version in repository.

But i was find that to not break python dependencies use pipx and install by sudo apt install pipx

Source: https://github.com/LordAmit/Brightness

To run write in terminal: brightness-controller

Good luck.

"Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together a success."-Henry Ford

AxL

Quote from: jacatone12 on December 02, 2023, 12:19:11 AMInstalled the latest SL KDE version on an old Dell Inspiron 1420 which has a rather dimm display.When trying to install brightnes-controller from a ppa I got the follow result:

admin1@inspiron1420:~$ sudo apt-cache search brigtness-controller
admin1@inspiron1420:~$   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apandada1/brightness-controller
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found
admin1@inspiron1420:~$

Does this mean I need to install an 'add-apt-repository' feature? Anyone know a solution?

Of course, use the official debian repositories. That's why they exist. And not crap for UbuntuTard.

Quote from: Filemon7 on December 02, 2023, 06:41:57 AMSolution is adding it by pip python packages installer: pip install brightness-controller-linux
[....]

Holy shit, what a way to complicate your life. Instead of using common sense, by using the official debian repositories:

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

AxL

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

View the most recent posts on the forum