Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Hello sparksters!

Started by MadmanRB, November 21, 2023, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadmanRB

You know, I totally forgot I had created a forum account here and honestly only intended to use these forums if I had a major issue.
But so far Sparky 7 has been an utter blast to use, I honestly have zero issues with the distribution outside the few quirks of the distro.
For example, the only quirks I probably hate about sparky is that OS prober is disabled by default in it, I am a Windows dual booter and the fact I have to go into grubs settings to enable it is a major bummer.
I mean MX linux (the linux flavor I am comparing this to) has dual boot detection OOTB even after the grub devs idiotic decision to disable OS prober.
Another quirk I severely dislike is aptus, while handy at stuff like installing drivers and codecs and such it's the yes/no dialogs in the terminal despite I just said it was okay in the GUI.
It's super redundant, and I wish it could be bypassed somehow outside using another software installer.

Other than that, my experience with Sparky is quite good.
I am using the KDE desktop, and I'm using the following software/hardware config:
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.103.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.0-13-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT

I have sparky's root/boot partition on my main samsung 1TB NVME SSD and I have my /home on my 6TB WD 7200 HDD
I also have a 512GB Sabrent NVME and a 500GB Crucial Sata SSD

In any case, Sparky will be my main distribution for a long time, to be sure.
And despite me being a newbie here I am far from a newbie to linux, as next year will mark my 20th anniversary as a linux user as I first started using it full time in 2004 or so with Mepis Linux being my first true long term experience.
Since then, I have been mostly an Ubuntu user.
I have used arch, Mandriva, Fedora, Mint, and even gentoo.
But I tend to favor Ubuntu/Dedbian based flavors and yes Mint is one of them.
I honestly don't like mucking about with config files or compiling software and prefer a more causal Linux experience like most people do with Windows.
I like gaming, watching TV shows and movies and am quite lazy at times in my preferences.
Still, I love linux and what it offers me, but still there is a reason why I favor distros like Mint and MX linux.
Ello!

View the most recent posts on the forum