Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Help finding 32-bit variant of Sparky for an aging tablet.

Started by Danny4114, October 08, 2023, 04:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny4114

I have an Acer Aspire Switch 10 tablet/laptop hybrid. It has an Intel Atom Z3745 clocked at 1.33GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 32 GB of internal memory. I was considering installing Sparky onto it considering the latest versions of Windows and their periodic updates are proving to be too much for the limited 32 GB storage.

The trouble is, my device has a 32-bit architecture whereas the download options I could find on the download page are for 64-bit architectures. As such, can someone please guide me to the download link of the right version for my device with the MATE desktop environment?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

AxL

Quote from: Danny4114 on October 08, 2023, 04:04:02 PMI have an Acer Aspire Switch 10 tablet/laptop hybrid. It has an Intel Atom Z3745 clocked at 1.33GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 32 GB of internal memory. I was considering installing Sparky onto it considering the latest versions of Windows and their periodic updates are proving to be too much for the limited 32 GB storage.

The trouble is, my device has a 32-bit architecture whereas the download options I could find on the download page are for 64-bit architectures. As such, can someone please guide me to the download link of the right version for my device with the MATE desktop environment?

Unfortunately, the version (as ISO image) you want (Mate i686/32-bit) does not exist.

In your case, you should use the MinimalGUI verison. The MinimalGUI i686 - Openbox.iso (in my opinion, better, lighter & faster). And afterwards, you can install the 'Mate' desktop, or any other.

Quote from: Danny4114 on October 08, 2023, 04:04:02 PM[....]  Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

You're welcome !!

Cheers !! 

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

AxL

Quote from: AxL on October 09, 2023, 01:08:13 AM[....]
The MinimalGUI i686 - Openbox.iso (in my opinion, better, lighter & faster). And afterwards, you can install the 'Mate' desktop, or any other.

I forgot to include the md5 / sha1 sums of the openbox iso in my previous message.

Which are as follows:

SHA1:  8c10fef98ba05031dc24eb980eb6def80b6fbdb9

MD5:   0eaf8d5da1b497551b2ba44f35c51117

Cheers !! 

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.

longshanks

Hi,
I too am looking to to revive my aging laptop which is a Dell latitude running an i5 processor with 32 bit architecture. Would your advice also apply to me with the MinimalGUI i686 openbox iso.?
many thanks
Brian

AxL

Quote from: longshanks on February 21, 2024, 09:41:14 AM[....]  I too am looking to to revive my aging laptop which is a Dell latitude running an i5 processor with 32 bit architecture. Would your advice also apply to me with the MinimalGUI i686 openbox iso.?

Yesterday, I already answered you properly, in your first message.

So, please don't ask the same question in three different threads. It is very rude, and also creates useless and unnecessary threads.

Quote from: longshanks on February 21, 2024, 09:41:14 AM[....]  many thanks
You're welcome !!

AxL

Download MinimalGUI - Sparkylinux-7.2-i686:

View the most recent posts on the forum