Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Resolution

Started by Somewhat Reticent, January 05, 2014, 03:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somewhat Reticent

On many live ISOs I've tried, I  encounter a dumbed-down selection of available display resolutions. On some, even a plug-and-play display isn't detected. On most, display settings are not initially accessible from the center of the screen. There's often a difference between settings available from a GPU and settings a display is actually designed for, of course.

One sign of distro maturity/polish is full access to all options, usually through layers of default/common/advanced/hack.

One thing I learned recently (from 8-) TBP's Tde) is that a display may be seduced into settings it's not openly designed for.

That led me to explore xrandr a bit; now I wonder:  what would be the best approach(es) to making added options stick?

The Black Pig

One of the things that seems to have been ignored by many developers is available display resolutions. They seem to forget there are many people that require a display  resolution different than that of their screen. Even allegedly 'up to date' developments like e17 seem to ignore the problem.

rayman3264

but surely the point of the iso is to get the system up and running on as many systems as posible and therefore the idea is to run with base settings the " YOU" the installer adds the polish ...?

sorry if it sounds like a rant it is not my intention ... but which would you rather have a polished windows install that you can sit and wwatch a bar go accross or egg timer during insatll or do as in one of my other posts and browse the net while listing to music on you tube ...while doing the install in a slightly less polished but acctually usable install disc..?

Somewhat Reticent

A default setting is a reasonable gamble for initial testing, an extremely limited selection of options is dumbing it down a bit, and ignoring GPU and display data altogether is outright deficient. It may not be the highest priority initially, but it should be addressed. It's an indicator of 8-) distro maturity. A small initial selection should be expandable to anything the GPU can reasonably be expected to put on the display.

Getting all this built into an ISO should be a long-term goal; in the short term, DIY method(s) need documentation (url? wiki?).

Access to display settings, esp. resolution, should initially be available from anywhere on the screen. That's basic UI design.

[edit: replace "polish" with 'maturity']

rayman3264

but your assuming everyone had the same gpu/card & display ... as they don't the goal is to get information on screen using base config and drivers as there are many gpu's & cards that need drivers you would had to include all these's with the distro . & as I am sure you are aware liciences .....therefore as some of these's would by propriotory would incure additional cost .... not really very linux an attitude i....

As far as i can tell there are very few people involved in putting sparky together .... Taking that into account compared to "microsoft" who cant even make an install disc that can do something other than just install and make you watch a slideshow for a few hours I believe its a very GOOD JOB VERY WELL DONE . ...

You'll prob have to load drivers in anyway so theres your resolution changer right there.......try instead of focusing on 1 very minor inconveniance and have a look at all the really good things already set out for you in the distro ....

you can plz all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time...

but some are never happy no matter what you do for them they can't do themselves

The Black Pig

The only reason I mentioned it is I' sure there are many people out there like  Me with an eyesight problem - the resolution of My monitor is 1920 x 1440 but for Me to be able to use it comfortably  I set it to  1440 x 900 and e17 doesn't allow this change easily, up untill recently neither did LXDE.

Somewhat Reticent

Quote:

Quote from rayman3264 on January 9, 2014, 21:59 you're assuming everyone had the same gpu/card & display

Don't put words in my mouth that were never there. That's classic 'straw man' illogic.

Check for yourself:

• In a terminal, xrandr without arguments will show whether a display was found.

• Use cvt to find arguments for a resolution (mode) not shown, add the new mode, assign it to the current output.

This procedure only works for the live session; I'm interested in the recommended way(s) to add modes persistently.

(If TBP hadn't done such a fine job with Trinity/Kde3, I wouldn't have become curious and learned about this.)

{I do wish this system had Preview!}

View the most recent posts on the forum