Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Openbox distros

Started by Lizbeth, April 28, 2015, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizbeth

Sparky is top dog imnsho of all the OB distros i have tried.  Its easy to setup in a way that suits me and does what i want it to do.  I am happy here with this openbox distro.

Semplice is a close second as it has an app lens.  Click the mouse on the backgroun and just start typing  The learning curve is much much higher trying to customize it.  I spent hours to figure out Tint2rc in located in /etc/xdg/tint2.  My panle belongs on top.  The problem is that app lens is also on top and is on the bottom layer when it comes out.  Though it does come out under the tint2 panel far enough to access all the launchers, it comes out under all open windows.  There base theme is incomplete and needs a wee bit of tweaking.  It needs a little fine tuning.

Crunchbang is third only because they stopped working on it.

Archbang i havent installed as the install is text based and I need to partition my hard drives ahead of time as i expect it wants me to count cylinders or something so my partitions are at the end of the drive and not the beginning.  I might try this in a virtualbox just to get a feel for it.

Manjaro hasnt ever worked for me as far as i can remember.  I dont think it's ever been installable on my system.

Crux only ever gave me a command line off the main menu.

Vsidio uses flux box which i dont really like.  All the themes for flux bite.  Dont care to even try.

Frugalware wiped out my hard drive and i still havent recovered.  Crashed on install multiple times in virtualbox.

Salix and Slitaz are next on the menu but im not holing out much hope for any from this point forward.  They all just seem to get worse the more i search.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

pavroo

I suggest to move all your changes you made from:
/etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc
to:
~HOME/.config/tint2/tint2rc
A next upgrade of tint2 package will reload the '/etc/xdg/tint2/tint2rc' config to the default one.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote from: Lizbeth on April 28, 2015, 11:37:50 AM
Sparky is top dog imnsho of all the OB distros i have tried.  Its easy to setup in a way that suits me and does what i want it to do.  I am happy here with this openbox distro.

Semplice is a close second as it has an app lens.  Click the mouse on the background and just start typing  The learning curve is much much higher trying to customize it.  I spent hours to figure out Tint2rc in located in /etc/xdg/tint2.  My panel belongs on top.  The problem is that app lens is also on top and is on the bottom layer when it comes out.  Though it does come out under the tint2 panel far enough to access all the launchers, it comes out under all open windows.  There base theme is incomplete and needs a wee bit of tweaking.  It needs a little fine tuning.

Crunchbang is third only because they stopped working on it.

Archbang i havent installed as the install is text based and I need to partition my hard drives ahead of time as i expect it wants me to count cylinders or something so my partitions are at the end of the drive and not the beginning.  I might try this in a virtualbox just to get a feel for it.

Manjaro hasnt ever worked for me as far as i can remember.  I dont think it's ever been installable on my system.

Crux only ever gave me a command line off the main menu.

Vsidio uses flux box which i dont really like.  All the themes for flux bite.  Dont care to even try.

Frugalware wiped out my hard drive and i still havent recovered.  Crashed on install multiple times in virtualbox.

Salix and Slitaz are next on the menu but im not holing out much hope for any from this point forward.  They all just seem to get worse the more i search.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Yes - I am a Sparky Ultra Openbox user (with the xfce4-panel below and Tint2 above).

Semplice is based on Debian Unstable and has more bugs (too many to use it on this machine).

I need wine for a couple of apps (not games) and Slackware Derivitives like Salix (which has no live iso of OB either) are problematic for wine.

Manjarobox works fine on a couple of machines but not this one and Manjaro stopped supporting it.  The version I began with (0.8.10) was developed by Carl Duff who went to Evo/Lution Linux and that won't install on this computer.

Archbang won't either and is a pain to configure, anyway.

Crunchbang was never as good as Sparky - in a lot of ways: (Repositories, not rolling, slower).

Some #!'s went to antix - I haven't tried it.

My other systems are xfce (openSUSE, fedora and calculate) but Sparky is my favorite.  (All of them break once in a while so a backup is needed).).

View the most recent posts on the forum