Saving System w/ Remastersys for Reinstallation

Started by dhinds, November 22, 2016, 06:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

I am unable to find Remastersy installed or via Synaptic, so that I can:

1.- Save my current system as installed; and

2.- Install it on a separate computer.

Is Remastersy no longer available?

Thanks in advance for your attention and response.

pavroo

Remastersys is not under development a few years already.
Somebody took it over, was developing it for a while, moved it from Yad to Python (?) based gui, and now is known as Linux Respin.
Don't know what is a present status now.

Anyway, I took over the original Remastersys in 2013 and forked it to 'sparky-backup-sys'.
It can be used in text mode, only 'sparky-backup-core' package requires, or with gui via the 'sparky-backup-sys'.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on November 22, 2016, 08:43:58 PM
Remastersys is not under development a few years already.
Somebody took it over, was developing it for a while, moved it from Yad to Python (?) based gui, and now is known as Linux Respin.
Don't know what is a present status now.

Anyway, I took over the original Remastersys in 2013 and forked it to 'sparky-backup-sys'.
It can be used in text mode, only 'sparky-backup-core' package requires, or with gui via the 'sparky-backup-sys'.

So basically, the name of the application has changed but you have revived the original and continue to supply it with Sparky.

Synaptic shows sparky-backup-sys, apps, desktop and core.

Thanks for explaining that.

Saludos from Guadalajara.

dhinds

I attempted to clone my system (based on Sparky Multimedia 4.4) in preparation for installing it on another computer using sparky backup system.

However, after selecting the user and running the program the following message appeared:

QuoteThe compressed file system is larger than the iso 9660 specification allows for a single file.

Try to reduce the amount of data you are backing up and try again.

The last time I did this (years ago) the resulting file was about 3.5 Gb, which is not more than the iso specification.

But this time, the /home/sparkybackup-sys/sparkybackup-sys/ISOTMP/live

is 6Gb.

gparted shows me that the 50 Gb / partition has 14.7 Gb in it and the 100 Gb /home partition has 55.1 Gb.

(And that is without my data, which is on another partition).

I assume that is the problem.

Any idea how to solve it?

What can I do to backup this system and transfer it to another computer?

Also, when will Sparky Multimedia 4.5 be ready?

Thanks in advance for your response.

pavroo

As the first think, try to clean up the apt cache:
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

and try to build the iso again.

The point is that the compressed squash file system in the working dir can not be bigger than 3,99 GB to make an iso after.
If is still to large, try to uninstall something big in size.

Otherwise, make sure you have 'xz-utils' package installed and your backup config file:
/etc/sparkybackup/sparkybackup.conf
has the 'xz' compression enabled to compress more data (takes a little longer) then using standard 'gz' compression.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on December 05, 2016, 01:56:06 AM
As the first think, try to clean up the apt cache:
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

and try to build the iso again.

That did it.  (I had to use su for apt-get cleanthough. 

Thanks again, pavroo.

Quote from: pavroo on December 05, 2016, 01:56:06 AM
The point is that the compressed squash file system in the working dir can not be bigger than 3,99 GB to make an iso after.
If is still to large, try to uninstall something big in size.

Otherwise, make sure you have 'xz-utils' package installed and your backup config file:
/etc/sparkybackup/sparkybackup.conf
has the 'xz' compression enabled to compress more data (takes a little longer) then using standard 'gz' compression.

'xz-utils' package was already installed and 'xz' compression was already enabled

balloon

Derivations of Sysmastersys are also published in other distributions, but these same problems can be seen.

Recently Debian(-derived) community refracta-snapshot has become topics substitute:
http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/documents.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/
http://refracta.freeforums.org/refracta-installer-and-snapshot-used-on-other-distros-t111.html

It could also be used in Sparky.
Also, I recently adjusted for this locale correspondence.

godstand2

Why not have systemback installed instead?I use systemback with so many other distros and have never had a problem creating Live respins of them it is so simple to use as well and you have everything at hand for the settings  ;D Believe me I have been at this since 1999 testing other distros this one is by far been the best for All computers a little bit messing with grub at boot to use the quite splash vga=792 in grub conf file at first boot and after install on hdd using Grub cutomizer  and all works even plymouth splash at boot .Still though needs some other fine tuning for event sounds I used the MX16 repo tools for that and got them to work as well as their broadcom manager for wireless cards http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/main/m/ to down load deb files for both 32Bit and 64bit. I tried the systemback installed on Sparky when i used it after it made an iso and i burned the iso to dvd and used it on another computer the iso ran fine but systemback could not either copy or install Sparky  to hdd  :'( there was an error about not able to mount Live Image have no permissions  :'(  If some one would help me maybe with that problem all else works fine out the Box(except event sounds) maybe we could fix that for next run on New Sparky hows about it?God Bless all ;)

sasdthoh

I wanted to chime in on this conversation. In my previous post (found prior to this thread) I explained that I was going to detail how to use the Sparky-Backup-Sys tool correctly with almost no failures.

And if anyone has read all of my previous long posts on this matter, I became the "poster boy KING" of Sparky-Backup-Sys failures, especially while working in virtualized environments.

As for the posting by ballon referencing refracta-snapshot, we have to remember that refracta, antix, mx16, etc., etc., are distros that have stripped out systemd and exclusively use the old sysvinit system which Debian and the other major Linux distributions have abandoned.  Sparky maintains 100% compatibility with the current Debian upline.

Anyway, my time is short so I will exit. Soon I will provide an detailed example of what I do including how I actually create the usb thumb drive with the newly created hybrid iso. I have tested in many older systems and laptops and now have a 0% failure rate. Keep checking this section for my post on the subject.

Oh yes, one more thing. I will also briefly touch on issues with using  Systemback  as well.

Stay Tuned Folks.

Paul ( sasdthoh )

godstand2

I really love SparkyLinux the most of all distros for it is sooooo fast on all computers Old and new(by the way the 32bit is what I use even on 64bit computers). I was wondering after I have already set up my sparky how can I make a backup disk with all my settings and apps and not just a hybrid iso like sparkybackup dist does and keep it for an emergencies to install it to say another computer, Like I can with Systemback does.It also gives you the option to install for a new user. I had installed System back on Sparkylink test machines and tried to use the copy user data and settings box checked and it said that it could not read Live image even when i tried to install the same thing happened, from the ISO I had made of the system using Systemback. I could run the live cd but not copy or install even with out box checked for user data and settings always "Could not read Live image error." I have made an ISO from Sparkybackup dist and it runns with all the the stuff i put in root folder including wine,games and programs as long as I installed them in root folder running as root also settings for root like themes and cursors the live disk ran with out a hitch even installed on another hdd but not with users setting or data was the image made so i would have to start all over again to set up slimjet browser for the user that is only browser I use as well have to setup appearance,screensavers,cursors and so on.All this work time and energy makes johnny boy here tired. It would be so nice to copy my system to my other computers with all settings and data intact and also from same disk install for new user with the little bit of the extras I have installed in root.The Sparkybackup ISO was 1.9GB size when I got done making it using the xz setting.

sasdthoh

I'm working on the problem as we speak. I normally avoid making promises in advance but I have experimented a great deal and believe I have a solution that will serve Sparky Linux as a distribution and also allow an ordinary user to keep his or her settings, etc.

There are limitations controlled by the iso9660 specification but as long as users do not get carried away with their setups, I believe everyone will be happy with the results.

STAY TUNED FOLKS ................ It's coming.

Respectfully

Paul ( sasdthoh )

ps: everyone should give pavroo a major shoutout for his outstanding work in continuing the original Remastersys project. After spending some time examining some of his work in fixing problems and improving overall functionality when used in Sparky Linux, I have to say that I am impressed. I hope that any accomplishments on my part will be an extension with added functionality of his very fine work and meets with his approval.

View the most recent posts on the forum