Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Recent posts

Hardware / Re: [KDE Version] How to Insta...
Last post by duststuff - Today at 07:39:20 AM
Don't have much experience with this, so can't help you much with details. If you haven't done so already, the place I would probably start is searching this forum using one or more keywords related to your graphics hardware to see if anyone else has already encountered / solved this problem. (I guess it's always possible keywords related to the make / model of your laptop may also be useful / necessary.) Then you could do the same thing with Debian resources (see their website for documentation, wiki, etc.) and/or Debian-related forums. (Maybe even any Linux-related forums?) You do want to be aware of the dates of any related posts you see -- if they're pretty old, there's always a chance that part/all of them are not relevant anymore. You'll probably also want to take pretty detailed notes of your attempt to resolve this, so you can approach it more systematically. And putting some time into figuring out how to get possibly helpful input from terminal output and/or log files might also point you in the right direction on some aspects of this. This could turn out to be time-consuming, frustrating, and (on the positive side) an opportunity to learn, but I'm guessing there's a decent chance a fix or workaround can be found. Hopefully there are some nvidia users who can also chime in with more details perhaps.
Hardware / [KDE Version] How to Install D...
Last post by ENTPRESTIGIOUS - Today at 07:01:38 AM
I am not really sure on how to install nvidia drivers and enable 3d acceleration. I have a GTX 1650 Max-Q. I did some stuff with nvidia-detect and installed the 470 drivers. And then I got carried away and installed one that was told from a Debian documentation. nvidia-smi works but I remember using a command similar to vainfo and my GPU didn't show up.

Someone I know told me that I was installing it wrong and that I should install it based on the desktop environment. They also told me about nvidia-vaapi-driver, which I did manage to install but I had to force-overwrite a file due to conflicts but didn't really configure it because I don't use Firefox.

But yeah it's just a total mess. I don't know if I installed it properly and I have no clue how to enable GPU 3d acceleration on Opera/Chrome. The fact that my CPU is going crazy whenever I do something on browser is driving me nuts. Yes, graphics acceleration is enabled (by default btw).
Applications / Re: k3b not installable
Last post by AxL - March 27, 2024, 01:15:19 PM
Quote from: Splinx64 on March 27, 2024, 09:59:03 AM[....]
E: Problems cannot be corrected, you have retained defective packages.
But, when I want to solve the problem, nothing happens.

Hm, what can I do to solve the problems?
[....]

Check the following links:

Last post by Splinx64 - March 27, 2024, 09:59:03 AM
OK, I tried something, but nothing helped.

I did following:

try to install k3b
- failed with the same result like above

try to install vlc
- some packages are not installable
- some packages should not be installed

E: Problems cannot be corrected, you have retained defective packages.
But, when I want to solve the problem, nothing happens.

Hm, what can I do to solve the problems?

Oh yes, previously I removed all unneeded packages with apt autoremove.

Thanks for for further support! :)
Installation / Re: [Strange I/O Error] Cannot...
Last post by ENTPRESTIGIOUS - March 26, 2024, 08:51:48 PM
Quote from: duststuff on March 26, 2024, 02:30:11 AMGlad to hear it's working and that you seem to have found a workable solution. I've read online that AHCI is the best setting for SSD's. If I remember right, Intel RST is a feature that uses caching to help Windows boot and/or run faster. It may be possible to set your Windows up so it will work with the AHCI setting, but not sure what that would involve (maybe a re-install of Windows?), how much it would affect Windows performance, and whether it's worth the trouble for your use case. If you won't be doing a lot of switching back and forth, the present workaround is probably easiest / best.

If you feel like this issue's been resolved for you, it would be great if you could edit the title of this topic to include '[Solved]', as this will help others in the future who are searching for solutions.

I did look over it and saw something related to booting Windows in safe mode and then configuring it back to AHCI. Intel RST from what I heard is a gimmick and it's more of a marketing thing. But yeah, it's fine for me since I'll be using Sparky most of the time.
Last post by Splinx64 - March 26, 2024, 05:17:59 PM
Unfortunately, today wasn't enough time to try something. I hope, I can do it tomorrow.
Last post by AxL - March 26, 2024, 01:35:11 PM
Last post by duststuff - March 26, 2024, 02:30:11 AM
Glad to hear it's working and that you seem to have found a workable solution. I've read online that AHCI is the best setting for SSD's. If I remember right, Intel RST is a feature that uses caching to help Windows boot and/or run faster. It may be possible to set your Windows up so it will work with the AHCI setting, but not sure what that would involve (maybe a re-install of Windows?), how much it would affect Windows performance, and whether it's worth the trouble for your use case. If you won't be doing a lot of switching back and forth, the present workaround is probably easiest / best.

If you feel like this issue's been resolved for you, it would be great if you could edit the title of this topic to include '[Solved]', as this will help others in the future who are searching for solutions.
Last post by ENTPRESTIGIOUS - March 25, 2024, 07:41:23 PM
I don't know what happened today but the installer seems to working. All I did was just plug the USB in before startup to another USB port and the I/O error went away. Since it couldn't read my SSD, I changed the SATA configuration to AHCI or whatever and it works now. However, whenever I switch to Windows I need to change my SATA configuration to Intel RST every time.
Last post by Splinx64 - March 25, 2024, 06:56:52 PM
Hey AxL,
thank you for your answer.

Yes, k3b needs a lot of KDE packages. Maybe, in this current situation it is a good idea to deinstall all not used KDE packages and than reinstall k3b again.

I have installed xfburn too, after them I saw, that k3b not works. Xfburn also works, but for me k3b is the most convenient application. For instance, I didn't find a way to set different gaps between audio tracks on audio cd's. Yes, I still hear cd's.

Tomorrow I have more time to try some solutions. Than I write again.

View the most recent posts on the forum