Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

WiFi auto-connect and other questions

Started by tpatt, March 22, 2015, 09:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpatt

Hello,

I'm new to this distro but I have to say it is my new favorite :)  I've only had a few hiccups along the way and got most of the sorted out.  One of them is WiFi starting automatically.  When I log in, it notifies me that it's disconnected and stays that way.  If I look at available networks, I can see my hidden network.  If I click on it to connect, it prompts for the key then sometimes it will connect, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries before connecting.  I installed Wicd Network Manager, and that made it worse.  I could not connect at all with that however it did say "Bad Password" when it failed.  The password is not bad because it eventually does connect and I've entered it many times.

Another question I have is about wbar... how can I remove that completely?  I found the config settings, but it doesn't have an option to remove or disable?

Finally, I've really grown fond of Audacious as my mp3 player, but after installing it and trying to add a directory to my playlist, it kills the application.  As soon as I try to add files, it immediately closes.  I like it because it has the minimal Winamp style playlist and was wanting something similar... any suggestions for what works well in Sparky (besides Exaile) :)

pavroo

Hi
1. Is the same problem with Wifi on other Linux distros?
What is your Wifi device, show me:
lspci | grep Network

2. Wbar:
http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,2359.msg2718.html#msg2718

3. Run the player in a terminal emulator, do what you'd like to do and check the output message in the terminal.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

tpatt

Quote from: pavroo on March 22, 2015, 01:21:08 PM
Hi
1. Is the same problem with Wifi on other Linux distros?
What is your Wifi device, show me:
lspci | grep Network

2. Wbar:
http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,2359.msg2718.html#msg2718

3. Run the player in a terminal emulator, do what you'd like to do and check the output message in the terminal.

1. I get no output from this command.  After removing grep, I confirmed it only sees my wired NIC.  By the way, it is a USB connected WiFi adapter and it has worked perfectly in other distros.

2. Thank you for the URL!

3. (audacious:16497): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(audacious:16497): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(audacious:16497): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

audacious: index.cc:114: void IndexBase::remove(int, int, aud::EraseFunc): Assertion `pos >= 0 && pos <= m_len' failed.
Aborted

The theme engine errors came up when opening the app.  The void IndexBase and Aborted happened when adding mp3s to the playlist.  It then closed immediately.

Thank you!

pavroo

1. What 'lsusb' command shows?

3. Install package 'gtk2-engines-murrine' and try again.

tpatt

1. Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp. RT7D50 Keyboard
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0461:4d81 Primax Electronics, Ltd Dell N889 Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

3. Now I just get this as soon as I add a list of mp3s:

audacious: index.cc:114: void IndexBase::remove(int, int, aud::EraseFunc): Assertion `pos >= 0 && pos <= m_len' failed.
Aborted

pavroo

Now it's more clear. Your Wifi device is based on Raeltek RTL8191SU chipset.
Here is installation guide:
https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
But you should have driver 'firmware-realtek' preinstalled already, just check do you?
Then try to load the module"
sudo modprobe -r r8192s_usb
If no problem then:
sudo modprobe r8192s_usb

3. Do you use 3th party skins for Audacious?
If yes change for default and try again.

tpatt

modprobe -r r8191s_usb
modprobe: FATAL: Module r8191s_usb not found.

I do not have any 3rd party skins.  It happens with both the default and the Winamp interface plugins.

EDIT: The output above says r8191s, but I tried r8192s as well with the same result.  Do I need to install the module?  How do I do that?  Also, I tried an apt-get install firmware-realtek and it says it's already at the newest version.

pavroo

QuoteI tried an apt-get install firmware-realtek and it says it's already at the newest version.
So it's installed already.
Following Debian wiki, they are 2 modules should work with your chipset:
r8192s_usb
r8712u
so try the second one too.

The Audacious problem should be reported on the project's forum I think.

tpatt

Thank you for the audacious help.

How do I install the modules? 

pavroo

You don't have to install a module, just load it as before, but this time try the second one:
sudo modprobe -r r8712u
if no problem then:
sudo modprobe r8712u
Then check your wifi connection.

tpatt

OK, when I removed it, it killed my connection, then adding it restored it.  I have rebooted a few times and it connects automatically now, although it takes about 30 seconds before trying.  Is there any way to start the connection as a service where it connects before i login?  And why did removing and re-adding the same module fix this?

pavroo

It' not the same module.
The first one you tried was: r8192s_usb
The second one which works is: r8712u

Don't not why it start with 30 second delay.
If works don't change anything.

tpatt

View the most recent posts on the forum