Started by penguin, April 01, 2018, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

I am using Sparky Linux 4 xfce.

First issue:

Anyone arrived to mount an NFTS partition as describes here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G

QuoteLinux compatible permissions
Permissions on a Linux system are normally set to 755 for folders and 644 for files. It is recommended to keep these permissions in use for the NTFS partition as well if you use the partition on a regular basis. The following example assigns the above permissions to a normal user:

# Mount internal Windows partition with linux compatible permissions, i.e. 755 for directories (dmask=022) and 644 for files (fmask=133)
/dev/NTFS-partition  /mnt/windows  ntfs-3g uid=username,gid=users,dmask=022,fmask=133 0 0
Allowing group/user
In /etc/fstab you can also specify other options like those who are allowed to access (read) the partition. For example, for you to allow people in the users group to have access:

/dev/NTFS-partition  /mnt/windows  ntfs-3g   gid=users,umask=0022    0       0

As I said in one  of my posts.Group users existed on Sparky but was non visible with command : id -Gn.
When I tired to add group users, by command sudo groupadd users, Sparky said that group exists.
For that i deleted the original group user by sudo groupdel users and created the new one.
I have ARCH and MX Linux installed on my computer. I have tried the same way as them to mount on Sparky my NFTS partition with ntfs-3g, but Sparky refuses all ways.
ntfs-3g is installed on Sparky.

If someone arrived to mount NFTS with ntfs-3g driver, please post this line from his fstab.

Second Issue:
During boot,because of non mounting NFTS with ntfs-3g , Sparky stops for 1:30 minutes and after continues booting process up to the point that block at said use CTRL+D to open terminal.
Neither CTRL+D or CTRL+ALT+F1 do not bring up terminal.
CTRL+Escape or CTRL+ALT+F1 brings up a gray background of Plumouth.

Anyone experienced the same issue, when Sparky can not boot and stop asking for CTRL+D? How you have passed this point ?

Sorry that I am adding the follow issue now:

Third Issue:
Pavroo have a look at the users Sparky utility (Utility that create users and groups and etc), This does not function correctly.
When I want to add/create group or user,it asked me for password and when I give my credentials, nothing is shown.

Capitain_Jack

There is no big deal into using ntfs-3g for me, I use the disk-manager GUI app that sparky does have to change any settings on mounting. give it a try! Just select the partition and the driver you want to use and mark it to have it mounted at boot. Before using it, clean those lines from fstab.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/disk-manager

If you find the solution, please take some time to edit the first message title adding [SOLVED] to the beginning of it, so others can benefit from your solution.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

penguin

Quote from: Capitain_Jack on April 01, 2018, 06:49:58 PM
There is no big deal into using ntfs-3g for me, I use the disk-manager GUI app that sparky does have to change any settings on mounting. give it a try! Just select the partition and the driver you want to use and mark it to have it mounted at boot. Before using it, clean those lines from fstab.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/disk-manager

If you find the solution, please take some time to edit the first message title adding [SOLVED] to the beginning of it, so others can benefit from your solution.

Mostly I used Gnome disk manager but lastly I used Sparky Disk-manager GUI that added a line in my fstab , but did not function. As I said. I use the same procedure to mount NTFS partition as on ARCH and MX Linux. But did not function.
Have you use ntfs-3g driver to mount NTFS partition or you mount it as auto? I can mount the NTFS as auto, but not with ntfs-3g driver.
Please try to mount your NFTS using ntfs-3g driver and post your results.

About the Second issue?
Have you experienced the same issue as I described ? Maybe Plymouth causes  the block of CTRL+D or CTRL+ALT+F1 to bring up terminal.

Capitain_Jack

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=472e8666-4ea3-43fb-b3ed-6c4fac55161b       /       ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro      0       1
#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=F0F4FE28F4FDF0A8   /media/Arquivos ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdc2 :
UUID=6CA693ACA6937574   /media/Win7x64  ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdd1 :
UUID=B06CEA0B6CE9CBE2   /media/Documentos       ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdc3 :
UUID=af07e500-2724-4546-85dd-bac2c52d0807       /media/sdc3     ext4    defaults        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sda2 :
UUID=477db2ef-424e-4d55-b77d-59c4bfe098d2       none    swap    sw      0       0
/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660     user,noauto,exec,utf8   0       0
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

Wombat

QuoteAnyone experienced the same issue, when Sparky can not boot and stop asking for CTRL+D? How you have passed this point ?

Did encounter this on a recent install of sparkyxfce and with no ntfs partitions causing the problem. I don't remember exactly how I got around it. Probably just used "startx" , logged in and did a complete update.

penguin

Quote from: Wombat on April 02, 2018, 05:36:29 AM
QuoteAnyone experienced the same issue, when Sparky can not boot and stop asking for CTRL+D? How you have passed this point ?

Did encounter this on a recent install of sparkyxfce and with no ntfs partitions causing the problem. I don't remember exactly how I got around it. Probably just used "startx" , logged in and did a complete update.

Hi wombat. Thank you for your reply.In general this issue is related for blocking of Sparky on normal boot up to the point when is asking for CTRL+D . As I said.I have been not able to react with my keyboard. Normally any Linux should give user the  possibility to bring up terminal when the booting process hangs. In Arch or MX Linux I was able to starx.

penguin

Quote from: Capitain_Jack on April 01, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

#

#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=472e8666-4ea3-43fb-b3ed-6c4fac55161b       /       ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro      0       1
#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=F0F4FE28F4FDF0A8   /media/Arquivos ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdc2 :
UUID=6CA693ACA6937574   /media/Win7x64  ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdd1 :
UUID=B06CEA0B6CE9CBE2   /media/Documentos       ntfs-3g auto,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sdc3 :
UUID=af07e500-2724-4546-85dd-bac2c52d0807       /media/sdc3     ext4    defaults        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sda2 :
UUID=477db2ef-424e-4d55-b77d-59c4bfe098d2       none    swap    sw      0       0
/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660     user,noauto,exec,utf8   0       0

Thanks. I give a try.

Wombat

QuoteAs I said.I have been not able to react with my keyboard.

.... reminded me that I did need to change the keyboard for another type- an old hp kb that is known to work during initial installs.

Having W7 on the Ntfs partition may have more significance than ntfs-3g??

pavroo

QuoteIn Arch or MX Linux I was able to startx.
It is not pre-installed in Sparky, but can be added to the next release.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

penguin

Quote from: Wombat on April 02, 2018, 09:46:23 AM
QuoteAs I said.I have been not able to react with my keyboard.

.... reminded me that I did need to change the keyboard for another type- an old hp kb that is known to work during initial installs.

Having W7 on the Ntfs partition may have more significance than ntfs-3g??

QuoteHaving W7 on the Ntfs partition may have more significance than ntfs-3g??
. I did not understood your question.
ntfs-3g - is a linux driver to read and write ntfs partitions instead of default option.

https://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/

penguin

Quote from: penguin on April 02, 2018, 07:36:16 AM
Quote from: Capitain_Jack on April 01, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

#

#Entry for /dev/sda1 :
#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
#Entry for /dev/sdc2 :
#Entry for /dev/sdd1 :
#Entry for /dev/sdc3 :
#Entry for /dev/sda2 :

Thanks. I give a try.

I tried this time with a cosmetic change: instead of /dev/sdX  etc. I used UUID=.......
Still Sparky XFCE 4 hangs on boot.

The only way is to automount NFTS partition that function is : /dev/sdX  /mountpath  auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

but the worst things is : when Sparky hangs on boot, there is no anyway how to bring up terminal to continue.

Pavroo. Kindly I am asking:
1- To investigate why Sparky XFCE cannot automount NFTS partition by ntfs-3g driver?
2- Please simulate mounting of wrong UUID partition hat will hang Sparky on boot and found a way how to bring up terminal by CTRL+D or how to continue ?
Follow are my ntfs-3g installed packages as shown in Synaptic

https://i.imgur.com/fl6wn7p.png

pavroo

I have not a ntfs partition, so simulated it on vbox, but works fine.

1. Driver: ntfs-3g package
2. Groups: you have to belong to 'users' group, so check:
groups
if you are not belong, add your user to the group:
sudo adduser USERNAME users
3. Create a dir to for mounting your ntfs partition, for example 'win':
sudo mkdir -p /media/win
4. Become an owner of the dir:
sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/win
5. fstab entry :
/dev/sdX   /media/win   ntfs-3g   users,auto,umask=0022  0  0
don't use space, use tab key.
change sdX to yours.
That's it, rebooted and mounted automatically.

penguin

Quote from: pavroo on April 05, 2018, 01:49:25 AM
I have not a ntfs partition, so simulated it on vbox, but works fine.

1. Driver: ntfs-3g package
2. Groups: you have to belong to 'users' group, so check:
groups
if you are not belong, add your user to the group:
sudo adduser USERNAME users
3. Create a dir to for mounting your ntfs partition, for example 'win':
sudo mkdir /media/win
4. Become an owner of the dir:
sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/win
5. fstab entry :
/dev/sdX   /media/win   ntfs-3g   users,auto,umask-0022  0  0
don't use space, use tab key.
change sdX to yours.
That's it, rebooted and mounted automatically.

I will use this method.
Usually I mount partitions om my /mnt folder but I do not thinks that this would be issue. As I said , I use the same method in ARCH, MX Linux and Sparky. But Sparky fail.

Please.Investigate the problem of :

1-Sparky Users Utility that do not function correctly.
2-Try to simulate a wrong /dev/sdX   /media/win   ntfs-3g   users,auto,umask-0022  0  0 to lead Sparky to hang on boot. See if you can enter react with your keyboard with CTRL+D or something else to bring up the terminal.
Can you add possibility of using of
Quotestartx
as you promised ?
This is not a problem for me to find a solution to change wrong entries in Sparky fstab (correcting it from my ARCH or MX Linux) but for a novice would be a big problem when Sparky hangs and one has no any possibility how to bring up terminal.

pavroo

1. Show me:
apt-cache policy sparky-users
apt-cache policy sparky-remsu

2.I simulated with wrong fstab entry.
I hangs, gone to command line / emergency mode so could log in as root / ctrl+d just rebooted the system.
startx can not be installed as I said before.

penguin

Quote from: pavroo on April 05, 2018, 10:34:01 AM
1. Show me:
apt-cache policy sparky-users
apt-cache policy sparky-remsu

2.I simulated with wrong fstab entry.
I hangs, gone to command line / emergency mode so could log in as root / ctrl+d just rebooted the system.
startx can not be installed as I said before.

Quotepenguin@penguin-pc:~$ apt-cache policy sparky-users
sparky-users:
  Installed: 0.1.11
  Candidate: 0.1.11
  Version table:
*** 0.1.11 900
        900 https://sparkylinux.org/repo testing/main amd64 Packages
        900 https://sparkylinux.org/repo testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

penguin@penguin-pc:~$ apt-cache policy sparky-remsu
sparky-remsu:
  Installed: 0.2.1