Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Getting wifi up and running....

Started by Bluebriz, July 31, 2014, 09:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebriz

Hello ladies and gents,

I'm new to sparkylinux, it's a beautiful looking distro and I'm looking forward to using it more.

I just installed and am now updating via a lan cable as my wifi isn't connected.  In fact no wifi networks show as available, only ethernet.

My wifi card is listed as one of those supported by the broadcom-sta-common, which came pre-installed, so not quite sure why it's not working yet.  Can anyone help out a helpless newbie?

pavroo

Show me results form your terminal:
lspci | grep Network
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Bluebriz

brian@barista234:~$ lspci | grep Network
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

MoroS

You might want to install the firmware-brcm80211 package, which contains the necessary firmware for your card (and a few others).
apt-get install firmware-brcm80211

If that doesn't change anything try modprobing the needed module:
modprobe -r brcmsmac
modprobe brcmsmac

Hope this helps. :)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

Bluebriz

That did get me connected.

How would I go about making that happen upon startup, as opposed to having to run the command every time?

Many thanks!   :D

MoroS

Well, first I wanted to check is it really is an issue of the missing firmware, so I've only supplied you with the command to do it on the fly. Now that we know that the firmware lack was the issue, we can make it persist.

First of all: I don't have any Sparky installation with me (I'm at work right now, but occasionally check the forums), so I'm going to try telling you what to do from memory (you need to be root).
1. Locate the modules directory in /etc (it's either /etc/modules or /etc/modules.d - it must be an already existing directory, as we don't want to touch the main configuration file and creating it might now work).
2. When you're in the directory stated above just type:
echo brcmsmac > broadcom
(It's doesn't have to be "broadcom", you can name it as you like).
3. Reboot. ;)

It's a module start-up loading configuration. If you need any module loaded at boot time you just place a file with the module's name there (or in a /etc/modules.conf file if one exists - but that's discouraged, as the /etc/modules.d directory is a better choice and you have the certainty that running an upgrade won't override your configuration). That should get you a working connection on startup. :)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

Steve

Quote from: Bluebriz on August 11, 2014, 04:33:57 AM
That did get me connected.

How would I go about making that happen upon startup, as opposed to having to run the command every time?

Many thanks!   :D
Hi to all:

If other have the broadcom BCM4313 as me, i do this :

code

#sudo apt-get  install network-manager
#sudo apt-get install broadcom-sta-dkms

reboot

This module works for wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-,
BCM4314-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, BCM4352, and
BCM43228-based hardware.

Thats works for me.

Regads