Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Problems with wireless connection

Started by juanprf, January 26, 2019, 07:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanprf

Hi everyone, i did just installed sparkylinux gameover edition in a HP Pavilion Gaming laptop and everything was ok in the installation, instead of this I'm having a problem with the wireless connection, it doesn't appears in the network setting. Help please !  :(

Bluewater

Is the NetworkManager active?
systemctl status NetworkManager

If not start with
sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager
sudo systemctl start NetworkManager

paxmark1

1.Study 2. Isolate - eliminate  Lots of info on web and probably first search this forum.

Did the systemctl  commands work. If so mark the subject above as solved.

Still does not work -
If it is possible - attach ethernet cable and continue with that until solved.

I use the terminal. If you can't - others can help.
partial lspci output  - marked up as code via the # button above.
paxmark@raunesat:~$ lspci

01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)

post your output.  research the chipset (above is Atheros AR9285  - yours will probably be different. 

Probably not - but If you have something like AWUS036ACH USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  == rtl8812AU_8821AU - it is a bit of work.  I can help with that. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

juanprf

Quote from: Bluewater on January 26, 2019, 10:02:36 PM
Is the NetworkManager active?
systemctl status NetworkManager

If not start with
sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager
sudo systemctl start NetworkManager

I try with this but everything seems ok, is active

juanprf

Quote from: paxmark1 on January 26, 2019, 11:35:49 PM
1.Study 2. Isolate - eliminate  Lots of info on web and probably first search this forum.

Did the systemctl  commands work. If so mark the subject above as solved.

Still does not work -
If it is possible - attach ethernet cable and continue with that until solved.

I use the terminal. If you can't - others can help.
partial lspci output  - marked up as code via the # button above.
paxmark@raunesat:~$ lspci

01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)

post your output.  research the chipset (above is Atheros AR9285  - yours will probably be different. 

Probably not - but If you have something like AWUS036ACH USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  == rtl8812AU_8821AU - it is a bit of work.  I can help with that.

This is my output

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device a370 (rev 10)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 P

please help

paxmark1

Which edition of Sparky?
Sparky 4 == Debian Stable (9.6)
Sparky 5 == Debian Testing - Buster

I assumed you were in Sparky 5

A quick glance at it and I thought that no Wifi card was listed, but looking on Debian forums I see that the intel A370 is a wireless chip.
Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
Type   Information  ID   A370

If you are in Sparky 4 have a look at

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139572&p=688149&hilit=a370#p688149

From BunsenLabs  which uses Debian stable.

QuoteIntel [8086:a370] (rev 10)

The Google says that's a  new Jefferson Peak Intel 9560 wi-fi adapter like the one in my new laptop I'm using right now:

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] (rev 10)

So if you're trying to work around that not working by using the Realtek USB adapter, I think the rest of the machine is also bleeding edge hardware, and you're going to run into a LOT of issues trying to using an antique 3.16 kernel and drivers on brand-new bleeding-edge hardware.  If you don't have any Net connection so you could install hardware ID tools like inxi, could you at least tell us the model and date of your machine, along with whatever hardware info you have? My thoughts are that you will probably need Helium along with the newest kernel, mesa stack, and firmware you can get, depending on your GPU.

FWIW, Debian's non-free firmware packages are sadly aging, and even the upstream versions lack the firmware for the 9560.  I had to get it from the kernel repo and put it into lib/firmware/iwlwifi.

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4915 

Down the road you might need to look into whether or not you have the sometimes awkward "bumble-bee" hybrid video chip. 

So if it is a fairly new computer with fairly new components, your easiest bet to stay with sparky would be to re-install with Sparky 5  Debian stable is getting quite stale and is in process for their big upgrade. 

I stopped using Ubuntu around 2006, but in your case the 18.10 Ubuntu would have the correct firmware.  I am pretty sure that  Sparky 5 would also have the corrrect firmware.  And applying packages from "stretch-backports" appears to fix that also. 

I also see some recent  problems with the  RTL8111/8168/8411 which is your ethernet chip. Please also state if you have tried an ethernet connection and if it worked. 

peace out. 
mark r
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Bluewater

Please post output from
inxi -N

View the most recent posts on the forum