Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

LXQt: Kwin - OpenBox?

Started by ElQuia, February 17, 2015, 11:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElQuia

Hi I am a Sparky 3.6 razorqt user, have been reading about LXQt and I have some questions (probably noob questions  ;) )

1- For when (more or less) do you devs think that LXQt editions will be more or less mature for production use? (I do lot´s of backups haha)
2- WHAT is Kwin and what is the difference between it and OpenBox? (I saw 2 different testing downloads and would like to know, I have had a nice experience with open box as a crunchbang user)

Thanks for your work, for sharing and for answers  :)

pavroo

Hi
The first question - sorry, I don't really know. Probably when it'll be ready  :D
The second one - Openbox and Kwin are window managers. Openbox is very light and used for LXDE and for Openbox edition as well. KWIN is the default window manager for KDE and is not so light so Openbox. But It provides different features than Openbox, 2/3D visual effects and looks better. The plan is to make LXQt edition with the two window managers together, with Openbox as default and Kwin to choose/swith if you'd like to have fireworks on your desktop.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

ElQuia

OK Pavroo, THANKS    for your answer. Will try BOTH haha, kwin version for a newer PC and openbox version for an old laptop I use for fieldwork  ;)

KEEP ON WITH YOUR EXCELENT WORK.  Sparky is a very nice and cool distro!!!!

ElQuia

Question: thinking about dev versions available for download and thinking on the direction sparky is going.... where can I find a comparative of:

Trinity, Budgie, Kwin & Openbox ?

Basically THE question is when to use each version or which is the advantage or weak point of each????  basic answers to be able to decide which DE is best for each PC or situation....

ElQuia

It would be nice having a tutorial or step by step guide to decide for noobs. I suspect a lot of noobs will appreciate something like that  8) (I would  ;D )

pavroo

Hhmm...
There is not any tutorial to help you with that I think.
To make it clear I just removed TDE from download - it's too old, but still can be downloaded from sourceforge server.
Other Sparky dev spins will probably join the official releases when they will be stable.
There is one more to come to test : Lumina desktop.

Anyway LXQt is lightweigh and fast and should replace LXDE, but not now yet.
Budgie desktop is nice and simply and use GNOME stack.
Both of them are still under development and shouldn't be used for regular usage.

It's difficult to make personal comparsion, the best way to find out about strong and weak point is to check it out yourself and compare it to independent tests made by community.

ElQuia

Put that way for me the choice would be, LXQt/Kwin for newer/more powerfull computers and LZQt/openbox for older computers.  Maybe even openbox for newer depending on taste or preferences ...  Would be nice having a section in the forum with users evaluations.

OK, again THANKS  ;)

The Black Pig

Been using LXQT version for some weeks now had no problems  ;)

pavroo

Last update up to version 0.9 solved some issues.

carlo

Quote from: ElQuia on February 18, 2015, 09:38:06 PM
Put that way for me the choice would be, LXQt/Kwin for newer/more powerfull computers and LZQt/openbox for older computers.  Maybe even openbox for newer depending on taste or preferences ...

i can tell you that on my old pcs, because of driver issues (you know: old agp video cards, Xorg evolution, etcetcetc) environments like razor, lxqt and kde itself (yes it itself) work better than lxde or xfce: the only explanation i could find is because lxqt and kde and razor are written on qt rather than gtk or other things
i admit i haven't tried openbox because it's too much empty for my tastes

ps
i'm really looking forward to trying lumina
great job pavroo

View the most recent posts on the forum