Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

sparkylinux-5.13-x86_64-xfce.iso loads with keyboard error

Started by johnny_rico, January 19, 2021, 06:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny_rico

Hello SparkyLinux users,

Prior to posting this request, I used the SEARCH utility for the forums and found no thread directly on point.

I have been searching for a Linux distro to use after switching from Windows.  Since I have a variety of machines in my shop I have some latitude and can try a variety of distros.  Thus far, I have tried about a dozen, mostly lightweight versions whose purpose is to extend the useful life of older, but functioning hardware. (Best performers so far are LXLE and Q4OS).

SparkyLinux seemed like it might be a suitable candidate, and Xfce is a lightweight DE.  Loading sparkylinux-5.13-x86_64-xfce.iso on a Gateway m-2626u. 2.1GHz, 4 Gigs RAM, AMD Turion X2, 64-bit architecture, yields an error in keyboard mapping, even though US QWERTY keyboard was selected at initial install. 

Interestingly enough, ROBOLINIX creates the same error during installation.

The ASD keys appear to function normally, but getting to the JKL keys, depressing those keys gives you the sub-numeral which shares that same key, as if the software is depressing the function key that would invoke the sub-numerals on the key.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

bin

Hi HAL

It's down to your Numlock key.

Probably a blue Fn key plus one other which double up as NumLock should do the trick.

Try a couple of combinations with those  :)

johnny_rico

Hello bin!

I'll remember that if I install Sparky on another testbed. 

What I've done in the interim is nuke the Sparky install, and loaded Q4OS / 64 bit instead with TDE.  Then added the XPQ4 theme app and it looks very nice, and with 2.1GHz CPU and 4 gigs of RAM, moves out smartly. 

Not satisfied to leave well enough alone, I may experiment by loading Xfce and Cinnamon and see if it looks more visually appealing and/or bogs under the heavier RAM load.

I would like now to learn how to swap out the icon images (png's or ico's?) for the individual icons. 

I really do want the old Win2000 File Cabinet icon for File Manager, whether it's Dolphin, Thunar or Nautilus running underneath.

As always, thanks for your help.

Best,

H2K / J.R.

bin

You know what I'm going to say next.....

You're going to need to open a new one back on the Q4OS forum - 'cos we won't be popular discussing it here!!!

The short answer is, it can be done..... ;)

View the most recent posts on the forum