Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Not updating after install

Started by Andyg1, February 21, 2015, 10:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyg1

Ran ok as live disk and seems to have installed ok (3.6 32 bit ) on to my hp mini 210-4000
It came up with 410Mb to be updated but it downloads very little again and again. ran apt-get update but its still not updating.
Any ideas please.

seppalta

Try updating as root:  sudo apt-get update.  Then run sudo apt-get upgrade, or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.  See http://lxlinux.com/#24.

Andyg1

Thanks
I've just tried

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

and it's now about 200Mb into the 480Mb download so it looks like a good start.
Thanks for the quick help!!
Andy

pavroo

Sometimes the repository server is down so wait a while before trying again.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

MoroS

Quote from: pavroo on February 22, 2015, 12:46:38 AM
Sometimes the repository server is down so wait a while before trying again.

As with any WWW page, there are some downtimes. Not to worry. Trying again after a few minutes should resolve the problem, as Pavroo mentioned. Anything more serious than that will alwyas be anounced on the web page and on both communities (Facebook and G+) the moment it's detected.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

Andyg1

All up and running really well, apart from the sound is very quiet even with the volume turned up, any ideas?
Might get a SSD for a fast boot. There is a 64gb card innit but can not see how to boot from that in the bios.

A heck of a lot better than the windoz 7 starter it came with!
This is a second hand HP mini 210-4000 I got hold of. Fitted new battery and 2Gb instead of one. Then I live ran Fedora 20 on it as that is what I use on my main workstation, old Suze on the other . It ran well but a bit over the top for what I need on a note book and so I did the install. It failed and then when I checked the dvd it was 64 bit but labeled as 32. The bios is only 32 but clearly the hardware is 64. I think there may be a bios flash to make it run 64 bit but see no advantage for a notebook and I could just brick it on the way.

Thanks again

MoroS

Quote from: Andyg1 on February 22, 2015, 10:45:45 AM
It failed and then when I checked the dvd it was 64 bit but labeled as 32. The bios is only 32 but clearly the hardware is 64. I think there may be a bios flash to make it run 64 bit but see no advantage for a notebook and I could just brick it on the way.

One of Sparky's ISOs was badly labeled? Could you tell us which one? ;) As for the HP netbook, the CPU on it (Intel Atom N2800) has 64-bit capabilities, so it should run a 64-bit ISO. The boot process always starts with the CPU in 16/32-bit mode (depending on how old the hardware is) and it's up to the operating system to switch it further (up to 64bit). The BIOS has nothing to do with it, so you shouldn't have a need to flash it. Maybe there was something wrong with the ISO itself? Any messages displayed when it failed?

MoroS

Miss-clicked. Wanted to modify the previous message and instead clicked "Reply". :P

View the most recent posts on the forum