Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Recent posts

Sparky applications / Re: 'APTus AppCenter' not usea...
Last post by Linuxuser - June 13, 2024, 07:00:06 PM
Hi Dustin,

thank you for your quick and helpful response!

Quote from: duststuff on June 13, 2024, 11:56:22 AMHi Linuxuser, :-)

You could try finding out what the terminal command is to run the APTus AppCenter and then try running it from the terminal. That may produce output in the terminal that could help you figure out what the problem is and how to resolve it.

Yes, that's a good advice what I would have done next, as soon as I will get back to my old Sparky machine (in the next days).

I will further investigate that issue more thoroughly and keep you posted. Moreover, I send you later my hardware details from 'inxi'.

Best regards
to you all,

Patrick

PS. Dustin, you do a good job for the community of this forum, as I can see by your last posts. :-)
System upgrading / Re: Skype Install / Upgrade 'B...
Last post by duststuff - June 13, 2024, 04:33:06 PM
Hi, Henry. I'm assuming the best way to fix this bug is for the developer(s) to not allow the Debian version of Skype to be installed via APTus AppCenter, and then to also somehow prevent (or help users to know how to prevent) the repo of the Debian version of Skype from unnecessarily slowing down the update process. (Just to clarify, the bug I'm addressing with this topic is the Skype repo's interference with the update process, not trying to find a new way of installing a Debian version of Skype.) ---Dustin
Sparky applications / Re: access to smarttphone memo...
Last post by duststuff - June 13, 2024, 03:57:52 PM
Hi lukand, :-)

I'm guessing it's going to be difficult for anyone to be able to help you unless you provide more information. Some questions / comments:

1. There's a way to look at the history of your system's updates, which might help your troubleshooting if that's the issue. If you don't know how to do this, I'm guessing it wouldn't take long to find out how via an online search (BTW, using 'debian' rather than 'sparky' might give you more helpful hits). (You can also check out the wiki for one or more terminal commands you can run if you suspect that something went wrong with your system updates and/or there are broken packages, etc.)

2. How are you transferring these files? USB? Some sort of wireless connection? If there are options on the phone for choosing whether you want to use a connection for file transfer or something else, are those set appropriately? If there are multiple ways that you can transfer files, have you tried all of them to see if any work?

3. Have you tried doing a restart?

4. When you say it's impossible to transfer files, what does that actually mean? Or in other words, what are the contextual details? Is your PC not able to see the device at all when it's connected? Does it see it, but the transfer doesn't work for some reason? Does it attempt to do the transfer and then fail?

5. Do you have enough space on the memory card for the files you're trying to transfer?

6. What's the make/model of your smartphone?

7. What type of memory card is it?

8. Is the phone serving some other purpose while you are trying to transfer the files? (eg. I have a phone that can be used to provide internet to a PC via USB tethering, but when you are doing this you're not able to use that USB connection for file transfers).

I'm not sure that each of the above is actually relevant to your problem, but those are the types of things I'd be looking at if I was trying to troubleshoot it.

Cheers,
Dustin
Last post by Henry1 - June 13, 2024, 03:32:41 PM
Hi Dustin,

In case of need I will use Skype via browser as I don't trust at all Snap while Skype via Flathub is too heavy and is "unverified"...I think this bug will be difficult to fix.

Regards
Henry
Last post by AxL - June 13, 2024, 02:16:18 PM
Quote from: rektal on June 13, 2024, 01:08:49 PMI can confirm that Sparky APTus AppCenter is not working. I only see blank page.

Are you sure what you're saying?

Quote from: rektal on June 13, 2024, 01:08:49 PMsudo sparky-aptus do not show anything.

Perhaps, you should use the right command (sparky-aptus-appcenter), instead of using something non-existent, right?

Quote from: rektal on June 13, 2024, 01:08:49 PMI am using SparkyLinux Seven Sisters 8 x86_64.

As I mentioned in my previous paragraph, I do NOT have that problem:

Cheers !! 

Last post by duststuff - June 13, 2024, 01:50:11 PM
Hi rektal, :-)

Are you sure you're using the right command? When I try that command on Sparky 7.x Xfce, it says 'command not found'. (Note that the command to run a program may not be the same as the name of the installation package for that program.) I would check the wiki and/or do a search of these forums or just in general online to try to find the right command to use.

Cheers,
Dustin
Sparky applications / access to smarttphone memory i...
Last post by lukand - June 13, 2024, 01:33:05 PM
Yesterday morning I was able to transfer some files to the memory card in my smartphone. Regrettably, the same day after noon it became impossible. I suspect than an system update caused the problem. Is it possible to fix it somehow?
Plans for the future / adding Irfanview to repositori...
Last post by lukand - June 13, 2024, 01:26:53 PM
Would it be possible to add the software mentioned above? It is included in PCLinuxOS, so why not to do the same for SparkyLinux?
Last post by rektal - June 13, 2024, 01:08:49 PM
I can confirm that Sparky APTus AppCenter is not working. I only see blank page.

sudo sparky-aptus do not show anything.

I am using SparkyLinux Seven Sisters 8 x86_64.
Last post by duststuff - June 13, 2024, 12:08:28 PM
Hi Henry,

I'm not aware of any update. So based on what we know regarding Microsoft's position on this, it seems the only options for using Skype on a Linux PC are via 'snap' or a browser (official) or via 'flatpak' (unofficial). Personally, I'll likely look for a Skype alternative to use, although I may still use it sometimes via a browser or the mobile app (eg. on a phone).

Cheers,
Dustin

View the most recent posts on the forum