Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

How can i install virtualbox Guest Additions

Started by win7, June 24, 2020, 03:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

win7

paxmark1

One of the reasons I suggest qemu/vm

However I do have 5 years old  windows 7 guest. Guest additions  are installed to the guest system.   It usually takes me several tries. I finally got it downloaded to the right place and it did go in.via loading it as a cd image.  Try one of the youtube videos possibly. 

Are you using the Debianized Deb from Debian or are you using the Oracle Virtualbox  repo?      If the latter use the "Bionic" flag.  in your etc/apt/sourec.list ...

Testing or Stable?     Sparky 6 or Sparky 5

posting the output of       inxi -frb   would show us yout cpu flags (virtualization capabilities) and your repos to show us your type of virtualbox. 

peace out

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

win7

ok thanks
im try used these stable edition iso  5.11 Xfce 

paxmark1

<<Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.>>

That is my "signature" on the bottom of every thing I post. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

OmahaVike

I think it's a problem with their repos, as I had the same problem.

Reproduce the problem:

• Fresh Install of sparky
  • Go all the way through the update process
  • Try to install guest additions
  • Fails because it cannot find the kernel headers
  • Cannot install kernel headers because they are not found in the repo (I've tried everything from pointing to other repos, etc)

Success:

• Fresh install of sparky
  • Install guest additions
  • Do not update system

Noteworthy:  About a months ago, I followed the "success" pattern, but I was able to update my system after the installation of guest additions and everything worked great.  I did a fresh install this morning, and installing guest additions worked and operated as expected.  But as soon as I updated my sparky install, guest additions fails to operate as expected.  I think the repos are missing the correct linux headers.

OmahaVike

Oh, one other thing...  before you start the guest additions installation, you need to install the headers.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

View the most recent posts on the forum