Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

nm tray - Edit connection

Started by BobK99, September 05, 2022, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobK99

I've just upgraded my network, so have a new SSID; but the old SSID still appears in the nm tray (along with the new one). I'd like to tidy up, and get rid of the old SSID. I rt clicked in the nm tray and selected Edit Connections, but nothing happened. Is there a su command I can use from a terminal window?

(I know: if it ain't broke don't fix it. But it IS broke. My new network connection keeps getting dropped, and I suspect the continued presence of the old SSID may be the cause [perhaps the old connection is 'hard-wired' for some reason, so nm insists on trying to use it and throws off the new one]).

Any ideas?

b

nevertheless

Which desktop are you using? (I used LXQt at one time, and it's nm-tray was not ready for primetime. I came from LXDE and found LXQt infuriatingly rough. I know people like it. My issues were probably due to coming from DE and expecting more. What you described sounded familiar to me.).

On my Xfce system, the connections are kept in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/. Maybe that would help (start over)?

BobK99

You're right; it's LXQt. I'll have a look in /etc, but it sounds like I need a new o/s :-( Thanks

b

nevertheless

Quote from: BobK99 on September 06, 2022, 12:55:51 PMYou're right; it's LXQt. I'll have a look in /etc, but it sounds like I need a new o/s :-(

Are you using LXQt because your computer is older/slow/low resource? I think sometimes people chose it because it sounds like the latest thing. I haven't looked at LXQt for a couple years. It may have improved. But, it always seemed rough to me. For a modestly-powered machine, I like Xfce better. I use LXQt if the machine is really low-resource, old, slow. I think it's definitely better (more intuitive, easier to use) than some other lightweight desktops like what comes with Antix or Bodhi. (KDE is very nice and not a lot larger than Xfce. You might like that if you have a fairly modern computer, not slow or low resource. You don't need a new distro. Just a different desktop. I think you can install new desktops to your existing system. But, I've never done it.).

As I said before, my antipathy for LXQt may be due to using LXDE for a few years. I loved it, and ran it on fast systems too. It was polished, well done. Then the maintainer decided to redo the whole thing as LXQt (with some people who were already working on a Qt desktop). I've always been disappointed that it didn't turn out like LXDE. It may have stood out to me more (more personally) because I loved LXDE so much.

The nm-tray problem I had a few years ago was that if you mistyped the password and it failed to connect, it would save the password and you were stuck with that connection that wouldn't sense the error, couldn't be edited. People would think their wifi wasn't working because it never said "incorrect password, try again." It would just silently fail forever. (That's what came to mind reading your problem. But, I thought there was an "edit connections" somewhere in the start menu. The start menu always seemed confusing to me too. Stuff was organized in a way that I wasn't sure where to look.).

Anyway, if you're just using LXQt because you heard it's cool, the latest thing, etc., I'd switch to Xfce or KDE. KDE used to be synonymous with "large." But, I did some comparisons 2-3 years ago, and it didn't use that much more memory than Xfce. Much more polished/large in appearance.

BobK99

Quote from: nevertheless on September 06, 2022, 04:18:42 PM...
The nm-tray problem I had a few years ago was that if you mistyped the password and it failed to connect, it would save the password and you were stuck with that connection that wouldn't sense the error, couldn't be edited. People would think their wifi wasn't working because it never said "incorrect password, try again." It would just silently fail forever. (That's what came to mind reading your problem. But, I thought there was an "edit connections" somewhere in the start menu. The start menu always seemed confusing to me too. Stuff was organized in a way that I wasn't sure where to look.).

Anyway, if you're just using LXQt because you heard it's cool, the latest thing, etc., I'd switch to Xfce or KDE. KDE used to be synonymous with "large." But, I did some comparisons 2-3 years ago, and it didn't use that much more memory than Xfce. Much more polished/large in appearance.
That was EXACTLY my problem - a typo in the password I originally supplied, and it recorded the wrong password in the system-connections file. I just had to fix that - easier said than done (with LXQt, which has a terminal window but a VERY limited CLI. I had to su and then run /bin/featherpad.

Anyway, all done now. And as to your first question, the age of the machine wasn't mu reason for using LXQt; but if I'd known I would have chosen it! It's nearly 20 years old (Aug 2004, I think).

Many thanks again.

nevertheless

FYI: This thread about a new version of LXQt (1.1.0). You can install it, and it might improve some things like that nm-tray problem.

However, it's larger too. All the desktops do that. Right now, it sounds like LXQt is about the same size as Xfce. But, the next release of it will be larger, and then LXQt will look better suited for lightweight machines again. It's just a matter of whether you want to face that music now or later. (This was something else that put me off LXQt. They openly said that size (lightweight) was no longer the priority a few years ago. They wanted to balance polish/functionality with size. But, it never seemed that polished/functional to me compared to Xfce, and wasn't that much smaller. I know people like LXQt. I freely admit that much criticism is likely due to me taking it personally when the very nice LXDE was shelved. I think part of my problem was that the LXDE guy said Qt was going to replace it. I believed that meant a real replica of it. It never was. From size being less of a priority, to the polish being rougher.).

If you need super lightweight, Bodhi & Antix always came out substantially small whenever I compared desktops. But, not as intuitive to use/navigate as LXQt.

mmortal03

I ran into the same problem with the LXQt version. The problem is that nm_tray tries to call xterm to load nmtui-edit when you click on "Edit connections", but xterm is not installed by default on the LXQt version.

elgaard

Thank you, that was a great help.
I fixed the WiFi password after making xterm a symlink to termit, then I could apt install xterm.

View the most recent posts on the forum