Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Steam would not run after install but solved with script

Started by kulturedyobbo, October 25, 2015, 02:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kulturedyobbo

Hi all

When I installed Steam (I was using Sparky 4.1, kernel 4.1, now Sparky 4.2, kernel 4.2.0-1-amd64), I found it would not run. However, after visiting an Ubuntu forum, I found that executing the following command from the command line:

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6′ DIAPLAY=:0 steam

that steam would work. I have written this command into a script which is executed by clicking onto my edited steam shortcut. I am using SparkyLinux 4.2 Xfce x86_64, kernel 4.2.0-1-amd64 on an Acer Aspire 5745G Laptop using the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.11-1+b1 amd64 X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver.

safensecure1176

Hello:

I recently downloaded the latest XFCE version of Sparky Linux. However, after successfully installing Steam, the Steam launcher fails to load Steam. Nothing is displayed on the screen. I checked the /var/log/messages and see no error messages pertaining to this issue. I tried your script via CMD line and this still did not work. Do you have any further suggestions.

I'm using the 64bit version of Sparkly linux.

pavroo

Hi
Try to run steam in a text console and see the output.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

safensecure1176

Here is the output:

/home/elitegaming/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
/home/elitegaming/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
Running Steam on sparky  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
awk: /home/elitegaming/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
/bin/bash: /home/elitegaming/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /bin/bash)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1451690000)
libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

safensecure1176

From the error output. It appears the root cause is a video drive issue. Does anyone know the steps to resolve the issue?

derekhess@live.ca

Could you please shed some light on where and how to

" have written this command into a script which is executed by clicking onto my edited steam shortcut"

I am a nub and could not get the script to execute when i placed in the shortcut ?

i would appreciate any help. This has been frustrating me.

View the most recent posts on the forum