Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

printing control

Started by dicey, January 18, 2016, 04:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dicey

Hi, is there anyone that can tell me if the cups printing control GUI found in linux mint can be ported over to sparky? I love sparky, but I miss the control I had when printing photos in mint.

paxmark1

lmde or linuxmint.  Neither the ubuntu based mint or linuxmintdebianedition uses systemd.   

Cups is a service now. 
"sudo  systemctl status cups"          yields
● cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Mon 2016-01-18 16:41:30 CST; 16min ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(8)
  Process: 10247 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -l (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 10247 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 18 16:39:59 rauneseee systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

"aptitude show printingpackagefoo"  would help  identify the unidentified cups gui.

The libraries in lmde mint are fairly old - debian testing which is what sparky is all about has the new stuff.   

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

dicey

paxmark1, thanks for the reply, I understand the reasoning behind "testing" but the cups system in sparky seems like a step back.  guess I'll have to dual boot the two for photo printing.
Thanks again.

py-thon

I don't think it should be necessary to dual boot for printing.
What functionality are you missing in Sparky?
Are you sure you are comparing similar versions, e.g. Mint Mate with Sparky Mate?
I can't remember having had a different GUI in Mint. Maybe you are just missing one package on your Sparky system.
Tower and Notebook: Sparky (testing) 64bit MATE

dicey

py-pthon I am running linux mint rosa 17.3 mate and latest sparky mate, both x64. mint gives the option to control all six colours of my printer for density, gamma,
lightness etc. in both normal and fine adjustments. Sparky gives just the bare minimum by comparison, both in the control centre and in gimp. It just dumps too much ink during printing and everything is too dark.

py-thon

:-[ I have forgotten that I currently don't have a color printer to check this in detail.
But have you noticed that there is a small "more"-arrow at some points in the GUI that gives access to additional settings like density and gamma? As far as I remember some fine adjustments can't be made from within the program (which would make sense) but you have to create an additional printer with the settings needed. Copy your printer several times and change settings to the different needs (like business letter, draft, photoprint, double-sided-printing, etc.). This means that even only having one physically existing printer you end up with lots of kind printers in your settings menu.
Tower and Notebook: Sparky (testing) 64bit MATE

seppalta

I use iceweasel (with Sparky openbox) to do printing.  Iceweasel offers about 50 color controls - see photo:  http://lxlinux.com/printcolorctrl.jpg

dicey

seppalta that sounds promising and I will try it out, thank you. Will let you know how I go.

dicey

Quote from: seppalta on January 20, 2016, 10:10:10 PM
I use iceweasel (with Sparky openbox) to do printing.  Iceweasel offers about 50 color controls - see photo:  http://lxlinux.com/printcolorctrl.jpg
They are the kind of controls I am talking about, but how do I print something from my harddrive using a browser?

seppalta

Quote from: dicey on January 22, 2016, 01:40:31 AM
Quote from: seppalta on January 20, 2016, 10:10:10 PM
They are the kind of controls I am talking about, but how do I print something from my harddrive using a browser?
Assuming you are asking about a standard image format (jpeg, png, tiff, ...,  or .pdf), right click the file and open with iceweasel.   Then use the iceweasel print controls.   If it is a file type that iceweasel does not open, then embed it in a .html , which can be always opened with iceweasel or just about any browser.

dicey

Thanks to all who replied, the issue solved by using gutenprint which must come included in mint (without being shown). Also various Epson specific files. Now I am a happy little Sparkler :)

paxmark1

Please mark as solved. 

Using "apt-cache showpkg <foo>" in Mint will show dependencies, but even more helpful it have might shown up gutenprint  as a Reverse Dependency for cups.   "aptitude search guten" in sparky-testing shows a few hits. 

Peace out.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum