Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

end of support for sparkylinux?

Started by 0day, February 26, 2015, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0day

End of support For ubuntu 14.04 is 2017. For sparkylinux?

GeneC

There is no 'end of support" for Sparky.   Its based on Debian Testing (rolling).  Not Ubuntu.....
GeneC

MoroS

Versioning in Sparky pretty much just marks certain milestones. As GeneC noted: it's a rolling release, so there's no versioning as such and no life-time. It simply lives and is supported. Once in a while we simply release a new ISO version and update the existing installations, so that version numbers visually match. That reminds me, that we should do some cleaning for the older ISO images. I don't think they're needed anymore. ;)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

Lizbeth

you know, as much impact as ubuntu has on debian, i think its quite expected to think that debian might be based on ubuntu than the other way around.  They do have the chops after all.  Just thought it worth making that point.  Sytemd is a great example.  Devuan has forked off of debian because of ubuntus influence in this area as i understand it.

MoroS

Quote from: Lizbeth on April 30, 2015, 02:33:11 AM
you know, as much impact as ubuntu has on debian, i think its quite expected to think that debian might be based on ubuntu than the other way around.  They do have the chops after all.  Just thought it worth making that point.  Sytemd is a great example.  Devuan has forked off of debian because of ubuntus influence in this area as i understand it.

It's a two-way co-op. Ubuntu uses Debian's packages and repackages them as their own (plus some patches) and in return they give those patches back to Debian. The co-op also works in architectural areas (like choosing systemd), although it was the Debian's Technical Commitee that chose systemd as a sysinitv replacement (I was following the voting process on the mailing lists). It's a win-win scenario, as Ubuntu, being the more popular distro and having even more popular forks like Mint handles a lot of bug reports. The fixes after some time get propagated to Debian. A good example would be grub-commons and it's code for adding a suffix in the Linux menu entries (either "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"): the list for non-GNU entries includes Ubuntu, Kubuntu and other *buntus (and we're talking about the Debian's version of the package).

Sparky's relation to Debian is similar to Ubuntu's, but we don't repackage the whole world (it's a lot of work and a lot of resources would be needed; a single arch repository has a size of about 120GB and we use two archs: x86 and AMD64, so imagine hosting that monster). We use Debian's repositories directly and override any packages we need in our own repos.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

dhinds

Ubuntu is Patronized by a commercial entity (Canonical) and is a dot com.

© 2014 Canonical Ltd. Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.

Debian and Sparky are dot orgs and community based (although Sparky is guided by the vision of  Parvoo, it's principal developer).

View the most recent posts on the forum