Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

<SOLVED> usb install problem

Started by Linux_Newbi, February 04, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linux_Newbi

I have just fully installed ultra 3.2 on an 8 gb usb stick, the instillation when smoothly, no errors showed, but when i try to boot from the stick, after selecting the mode to boot in and waiting for the text to scroll, i get a black screen with a flashing curser at  the top right.  can type stuff, but thats about it. Do i need to reinstall or am i missing something?

pavroo

Don't know.

Looks like something haven't copied well.

Can you try to start server X with the command: startx
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Linux_Newbi

hi, sorry its been a while, my motherboard blew, and its seems yu can only buy them online...

well, ive tried again, refrmated my usb and used a new ultra image, from sourseforge. the live usb booted fine, one fail dring bot, but it was to fast i couldnt read it. instillation process seemed to go fine, took about 45min, but the same thing happened when i tried to boot fom the usb.

at firs everything seemed to be going well, a skreen poped up asking me if i wanted to boot into linux, recovery or run memory tests, then the kernal started unpacking, ran into a few archive errors, but it seemed to b ok, continud to the next bit, lots of text with [] tags at the beggining, again one fail, came at the same time but i couldnt catch it. then screen goes black, and a fewseconds later i get a flashing _ at the to left, and thats sees to be it, i can type, but it dosent seem to be a comandline, no errors when i enter rubbish, and starx has no effect whatsoever. is tis my usbstick acting up? or is it a bug in ultra?

ill post a film of the startup if that will help.

pavroo

Hi

There are two questions:

1. Have you used a white space or special characters for host name during installation process?

Means 'my host' or 'my comp' ? The name must be one word only, no white spaces, no block letters, no special characters such as '%$@&'

2. Have used white spaces, block letters or special characters for new user name during installation process?

Only small letters and numbers allowed, nothing else.

This is an example:

http://sparkylinux.org/images/installation2/thumbs/17.png" alt="17.png" class="bbcode_img" />

Linux_Newbi

yes, caps for username, both real and not, no special unless _ counts as special(Name_PC for host name)

didn't know this caused a problem, well it will teach me to read full installation guides next time, sorry.

pavroo

Can you try to install again with no "_" or something similar.

Use only small letters for host name, nothing else, please.

Linux_Newbi

so something like

Password1

Password1

name

name

Password2

Password2

namepc

is ok?