Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Base Install with XFCE

Started by DennisD, March 17, 2015, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisD

Great Distro guys. Ever thought of producing a Base install featuring XFCE? I am thinking something along the lines of XFCE (along with the sparky-specific apps), text editor and a web browser.

I can't be the only one who spent several hours removing all the programs that I did not need. :)

pavroo

There is a faster way: install base edition and add xfce after.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

The Black Pig

Have a look at LXQT , very similar to XFCE  but lightweight so you can add what you want

DennisD

Quote from: pavroo on March 17, 2015, 05:39:11 PM
There is a faster way: install base edition and add xfce after.

So would you suggest the Base install with JWM to achieve this? Then just remove JWM once XFCE is installed?

Thanks,

Dennis

pavroo

Yes, install JWM or Openbox spin, then install xfce, then remove jwm/openbox, pcmanfm, lxpolkit, tint2, nitrogen, lxterminal to clean it up.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

DennisD

Quote from: pavroo on March 17, 2015, 08:05:53 PM
Yes, install JWM or Openbox spin, then install xfce, then remove jwm/openbox, pcmanfm, lxpolkit, tint2, nitrogen, lxterminal to clean it up.

Great. Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot.

MoroS

Should work nicely. I'm using the exact configuration right now: first installed the OpenBox edition, then installed the xfce4 and xfce4-goodies packages and removed the openbox package.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

DennisD

This worked beautifully. I downloaded the JWM version, added XFCE (and a few others), and removed JWM (along with pcmanfm, lxpolkit, nitrogen, lxterminal and a few others). I think the result is a light, clean system but still visually appealing...

I know...its minty, but a hell of alot lighter!

thanks to all for the help

View the most recent posts on the forum