Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

synaptic 0.81.2

Started by ocalasun, October 24, 2014, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocalasun

My system did a rather large update yesterday ( I had put it off for a few days) and I was surprised when I opened synaptic and found it had received a major facelift v 0.81.2. It looks horrible and the columns do not format correctly and it's highly unusable in my opinion. I'm rather surprised no one else has commented  about this. I use apt from the commandline for many tasks, but still like synaptic for search features and software categories. Is there an easy way to revert back to the old version and not update it during system updates?

pavroo

Can you make a screenshot ad give us a link to have look?
My synaptic looks still the same so I am a little surprised.
Mayby the last upgrade was broken, try:
apt-get install -f
If it is a problem with the look, try to change the system theme for any and back to sparky3 theme (or any).
It means try to reload the default theme.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

ocalasun

Pavroo, man you are always right on  :D. I reverted back to the default theme and reloaded lxde and it was back to normal. I remember seeing some errors in the terminal window during the update related to the Azenis theme and icons that I use for a dark look. It looks like it may have been related to that.
I'd assume it still wouldn't hurt to still run apt-get install -f ?

On another note I'm happy to report a slight performance boost since this update from 3.14-2-amd64>>>3.16-2-amd64. I'm running at about 2 percent cpu with an idle lxde desktop...real nice imho!! Before sparky I was running MX-14 and when the kernel upped to 3.16, my system took a nose-dive and this laptop was overheating. I'm VERY happy with Sparky.
Thanks again!

pavroo

That's great.
Anyway, I am on Xfce now and my theme broken down itself a few times today.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

ocalasun

That's funny, because I have Mint w/xfce running on my kids computer and their theme broke down also after a recent update. I will be converting their computer to Sparky since it's an old P4 and will definately get a performance boost with Sparky.

configX

Quote from: ocalasun on October 25, 2014, 03:32:35 PM
That's funny, because I have Mint w/xfce running on my kids computer and their theme broke down also after a recent update. I will be converting their computer to Sparky since it's an old P4 and will definately get a performance boost with Sparky.

Out of curiosity, what's running on Mint that isn't running in Sparky? Technically Xfce should utilize the same amount of resources on either distro unless there are additional processes running in the background on Mint which is possible. If you want the biggest performance improvement then try LXDE or Enlightenment. Martin does a good performance comparison of the various desktop environments here: https://flexion.org/posts/2014-03-memory-consumption-of-linux-desktop-environments.html.

ocalasun

I am running Sparky-Lxde on this laptop and the performance is outstanding. I do disagree a bit though because different distros sometimes are running a different kernel and/or xorg version and can affect performance. I was running MX-14 on this laptop and when the kernel was updated to 3.16 from 3.14 my system performance got hosed. However, with my Sparky system the performance increased with the kernel update to 3.16. And yes, there are more background processes running on the Mint system. I'm not all that fond of Mint, I don't really even remember why I installed it but the kids don't complain. I still want to give Sparky a try on that P4, if I can squeak a little better performance with Sparky the kids will be happy.
Thanks for the comments.

~regards

View the most recent posts on the forum