Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Observations for 'LXQt' dev3 ISO/Testing

Started by J.Jay, March 08, 2015, 08:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Jay

Wasn't sure where to start this thread :-\

started testing (playing ::)) of ISO noticed so far it about 10-15% lighter on memory then even Xfce spin using openbox Kernel load seems a lot better
I installed 'MDM' 1.8 (posted thread under applications forums)
changed the Plymouth (added 'Solydxk' repo) using their debian-plymouth-manager (cant use preview & must use -f switch to run) (because sparky installs seen as semi live mode :-\ )
also installed hardinfo to compare
added media codexes  (included sparky script THANKS in ISO/menu

can totally exclude panel (and stay stable not like 'Mate') and use xfce4-panel (my preference) and actually saves a couple MBs of memory :o (cairo-dock not integrated with openbox/LXQt very much yet)

install thunar (preference) and noticed if uninstall pcmanfm must install xfdesktop (unless want to manually configure to control desktop, wallpapers ect.)  No noticeable memory gain/loss.  Or keep pcmanfm around

theming will be some what  different  (unless used to KDE/Qt)

be careful with the 'LXDE' packages (most not ported to Qt yet) will bring a lot unwanted dependencies

The ISO is more barebones (it's a dev) so great for those wanting to pick and choose apps.   
Its Qt based already (most people will install 1 or 2 Qt apps anyways)
Seems to have all needed to run GTK apps also(?)

J.Jay

J.Jay

Also wondering
Will future 'openbox base' editions use the qt version or the gtk version of openbox?   OR is openbox version same just using Qt additions?

Its a great way to 'buildup' a Xfce spin or any other DE for that matter
:)That why its a base edition :)
also
does anyone know performance/memory difference of openbox vz xfwm4?    (web googles always show performance vz the full Xfce4 DE >:(

Thank You
J.Jay

pavroo

QuoteWill future 'openbox base' editions use the qt version or the gtk version of openbox?
Openbox uses gtk+2/3, I never heard that it uses qt so the next openbox spin will use gtk.
Quotedoes anyone know performance/memory difference of openbox vz xfwm4? web googles always show performance vz the full Xfce4 DE
I haven't seen it too.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

J.Jay

Thanks for reply
QuoteOpenbox uses gtk+2/3, I never heard that it uses qt so the next openbox spin will use gtk.
So the openbox in lxqt  are just the qt extensions?   (That's what I thought but I'm not up on the 'LTQt' merge ) :-\

J.Jay
P.S.  will be donation if "MY' Sparky' gets thru the debian freeze/thaw (been using main install for +6 month or so) 8) Testing/playing others always ;D
Wife not happy last freeze/thaw when PC went 'Crunch Bang Dead' Was on LMDE I think! :'(

pavroo

QuoteSo the openbox in lxqt  are just the qt extensions?
It's not an extension, but it looks like.
LXQt doesn't have its own window manager, the same as Razor-Qt.
You can use any WM you'd like.
I prefer Openbox that's why it's default in Sparky LXQt spin.
Quote"MY' Sparky' gets thru the debian freeze/
It's our second Debian's freezing and it shouldn't be a problem, even Sparky gets a lot of changes including rebranding.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum