Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Lumina

Started by carlo, November 19, 2014, 04:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlo

Hi all
has anyone tried Lumina?
Are there any rumors about Lumina and debian?
would Lumina be lighter than lxqt and/or trinity?
cheers

drik

way12go

Lumina is a lightweight, BSD licensed, standards-compliant desktop environment based upon Qt and Fluxbox. It is being developed on PC-BSD, and is being packaged for distribution on the PC-BSD package repository as well (although I believe the FreeBSD port is going to be submitted to the FreeBSD ports tree by the PC-BSD project as well).

More info:http://blog.pcbsd.org/2014/04/quick-lumina-desktop-faq/

Quotehttps://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/u/testingte/m/lumina-desktop-test/
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

Quote from: carlo on November 19, 2014, 04:00:17 PM
Hi all
has anyone tried Lumina?
Are there any rumors about Lumina and debian?
would Lumina be lighter than lxqt and/or trinity?
cheers

That's an alpha-versioned, BSD-only desktop environment for the time being. I would say, that it's even PC-BSD-only. It would probably get naturally ported into Debian in some time (PC-BSD -> FreeBSD -> Debian kFreeBSD -> Debian GNU/Linux... that's the official path, I guess), but kFreeBSD version of Debian got axed a few weeks ago (not an official arch release anymore), so it really might take awhile.

As for us porting it into Sparky: there's a lot of reasons for NOT doing that:

• it's an alpha version
  • it's BSD-only
  • manual porting to Linux would take some time and I guess I'm pretty much the only person on the team that can do it right now (hope I'm wrong with that last part ;) )
  • we still have a lot of work with our current tools (the installer needs fixing and completing of the EFI32 support, the ISO generation process needs a bit of automation, but I've got it almost covered)

Other than that it will probably be available in Sparky as soon as it reached Debian Testing.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

carlo

@Moros

woow
i wanted to try *BSD and Lumina on my old computers, but as far as i've understood it's for 64 bits only..
that's why i'm waiting here in sparky nestle ;)
so as you see.. we linux cousins are peeping on you ;)

since we're here:
why does ubuntu already have lumina, as it had lxqt, and etc?

MoroS

Quote from: carlo on November 20, 2014, 11:01:38 PM
since we're here:
why does ubuntu already have lumina, as it had lxqt, and etc?

Well... Officially it doesn't. There's no package for that DE in the official repositories. Probably someone made the effort to build and package it on his/hers own. Sadly we don't have the time to do those things right now.

carlo

ay ay
Goodwork and.. Godspeed ;)
thank you

way12go

I installed JWM and created a document and named it as lumina. There you go, it's all disconnected but, I do have lumina, now. Just kidding. ;D
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

carlo

Quote from: way12go on November 21, 2014, 01:45:26 AM
I installed JWM and created a document and named it as lumina. There you go, it's all disconnected but, I do have lumina, now.

you programmers! black envy!!   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

way12go

I'm no programmer. I'm just a 34 year old single guy who happens to be Schizophrenic ( Horrible Mind Disorder ) currently doing Comptia A+ and N+ course. Hardware and Networking.

Code is not just programming code, it's the code that makes the World, including us - Life.

carlo

way12go

pavroo

I tried to compile Lumina, but still a lot of problems :(
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

MoroS

Quote from: pavroo on January 29, 2015, 04:33:18 PM
I tried to compile Lumina, but still a lot of problems :(

If it's available for Ubuntu, then maybe there're sources available somewhere on the LaunchPad?

pavroo

I don't think it is, I couldn't find it.
Anyway I try to compile it again soon.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum