Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Dissable or uninstall plymouth

Started by penguin, January 08, 2018, 09:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Last moth I installed Sparky 4 Stable xfce / 32 bit on an old laptop.In another computer a have the same version but  64 bit. I do not recall how I disabled plymouth on 64 bit version. What is the simplest way to disable plymouth to see logs during boot ?

pavroo

Temporary way (per session):
When GRUB starts, press 'e' (to edit), remove from 'linux' line:
splash quiet
Then F10 to boot.

Permanent way:
Edit (as root):
/etc/default/grub
remove from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT options:
splash quiet
then:
sudo update-initramfs -u -t -k all
sudo update-grub
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

penguin

penguin

Since time I have noticed something.

Sparky Linux takes more time to start/boot  or even slightly slower to shut down comparing MX Linux. The slower part in boot is part before showing logs ( maybe initializing of kernel part ). Can it optimized for a faster boot? I use booth distros mixing the best features of one to another one. Also some package/program repos from one to another. 

But after all Sparky reacts faster during operation and I can confirm than Sparky use less memory than MX Linux.
Something strange that I have noticed comparing MX and Sparky 32 bit editions is : During playing a movie with mpv MX Linux 17 directly increase ram usage from ( 3xx MB to 9xx mb ) meanwhile Sparky do not pass boundaries of 3xx mb (just small increase).In my experiment I have run only mpv player and not any other program. The same happens with opera browser. Sparky use less memory in total.

pavroo.
I disabled plymouth as you said. I left the same line in grub as MX Linux but Sparky can not show all boot logs (only some of them). How can I have all boot logs displayed?

Appreciating your fantastic work  with Sparky.

pavroo

Removing the "quiet" option should show all boot output.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

paxmark1

For slow starts  check "systemd-analyze blame"     for info

Digitialocean has the good tutorials on systemd and journalctl. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum