Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Recent posts

Sparky applications / Installing GSCAN2PDF
Last post by djringjr - April 15, 2024, 02:40:45 AM
I tried to install gscan2pdf and it will not run and it gives these errors.

INFO - Starting gscan2pdf 2.13.2
INFO - Called with /usr/bin/gscan2pdf --log=/home/djringjr/log-file
INFO - Log level DEBUG
INFO - Using en_US.UTF-8 locale
INFO - Startup LC_NUMERIC C
INFO - Reading config from /home/djringjr/.config/gscan2pdfrc
INFO - Config file version 2
DEBUG - $VAR1 = {};

INFO - Operating system: linux
INFO - DISTRIB_ID=Sparky
DISTRIB_RELEASE=7.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Orion-Belt
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="SparkyLinux"
INFO - PRETTY_NAME="SparkyLinux 7.3 (Orion-Belt)"
NAME="SparkyLinux"
VERSION_ID="7.3"
VERSION="7.3 (Orion-Belt)"
ID=sparky
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://sparkylinux.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://sparkylinux.org/forum/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://sourceforge.net/p/sparkylinux/tickets"
VERSION_CODENAME=orion-belt
DEBIAN_CODENAME=bookworm

I tried to report a bug at the given address, even when I'm logged in, I cannot post a bug report.

Regards,
Deutsch / Auto Login bei Sparky 7.3
Last post by Paul-Michael - April 14, 2024, 02:56:28 PM
Hallo,
ich habe mir soeben Sparky Linux 7.3 auf einem Laptop neu installiert.
Grundsätzlich finde ich es ganz okay, aber der Rechner will beim Neustart kein Login.
Und ich finde keinen Punkt wo ich ,,autologin" abschalten könnte.
Vielleicht kann mir irgend jemand helfen. Es muss doch irgendwo eine benutzerdefinierte Einstellungsmöglichkeit des Logins geben.
Meine Sparky Linux Erfahrungen sind absolut neu, meine sonstigen Erfahrungen erstrecken sich bislang überwiegend auf Ubuntu Mate. (ca 15 Jahre)

Ach ja, ich habe auch hier die Mate Version gewählt.

Danke.
Gruß Paul-Michael
Applications / Re: Bengali / Bangla / Indic L...
Last post by AxL - April 11, 2024, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: duststuff on April 11, 2024, 06:52:24 AMThanks, AxL, using that second site allows the images to come through fine for me now, and I appreciate your effort in re-posting those.
[....]

No problem at all. You're welcome !! 

Last post by duststuff - April 11, 2024, 06:52:24 AM
Thanks, AxL, using that second site allows the images to come through fine for me now, and I appreciate your effort in re-posting those. I've heard from others here and there on various lists / forums that they also sometimes / always have a problem accessing imgur, but I don't know how common it is or what the reasons for it are -- I'm guessing it's likely intentional or unintentional effects of the site's security policies or how it's set up, maintained, etc.
Last post by AxL - April 10, 2024, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: duststuff on April 10, 2024, 05:47:51 PMThanks, AxL.   [....]

Quote from: duststuff on April 10, 2024, 05:56:44 PM[....]  Also, not sure why, but I'm not able to see the images (other than emojis) you included in your post.

Well, I don't know what could be the problem for you not to be able to see the attached images. They are simple images in .png format, and hosted in imgur (.... anyway, I leave you the urls of the two images):

https://i.imgur.com/bjJE7Cf.png

https://i.imgur.com/yuNvAVb.png

Edit: I just saw your comments in your last post, clarifying a bit the problem you are having.

However, I have uploaded the same images to a different site. I hope this time you won't have any problems viewing them:

Cheers !! 

Last post by duststuff - April 10, 2024, 06:17:34 PM
Quote from: duststuff on April 10, 2024, 05:56:44 PMAlso, not sure why, but I'm not able to see the images (other than emojis) you included in your post.

In the email notification of your reply that I got, I saw that there were 'imgur' links for the images, so I tried clicking on those in the email. However, for some reason (I remember it happening before too), I'm not able to access the imgur image-sharing site, so that's probably why they aren't showing up for me on the forum website. If I really needed to see them, I guess I could try a VPN with a U.S. IP address, but I think I'll pass on that for now. :-)
Last post by duststuff - April 10, 2024, 06:07:32 PM
BTW, practically speaking, I've 'solved' my problem by switching to using the font 'Tiro Bangla', which so far seems to be working other than a few odd-looking things in its Latin / Roman (i.e. English) characters. It also has the added bonus of having its Bangla script and English script on the same point scale as far as size, whereas other fonts I've used were often off by about two points, so you could spend a lot of time adjusting the size of the text depending on how mixed the two languages were in what you were composing.

All that being said, I just mention it in case others find it helpful, but I'm not going to mark this as solved yet, since my actual questions are related to what packages and/or settings and/or anything else would cause this difference of behavior between two OS's based on the same distro.
Last post by duststuff - April 10, 2024, 05:56:44 PM
Quote from: AxL on April 10, 2024, 05:24:13 PMBTW just out of curiosity, I searched the internet to see what the 'Bangla' font looked like. And surprisingly, I was able to see it without any apparent problem.

Actually, I'm not surprised since most modern Unicode fonts would be able to handle displaying Bangla script (although sometimes broken here or there if they weren't specifically created for Bangla), plus lots of other non-Roman languages' scripts as well -- that's one of the advantages of Unicode, that so many more glyphs (characters) can be included in a font.

And to make it practical for my use case, I find it curious that the problems I've faced will show up in my email client (Claws Mail) as well as the default text editor of Sparky 7 (Mousepad), but everything works fine in the same email client on LMDE 6 and in its default text editor (xed), once again noting that both of these distros are based on Debian 12.

Also, not sure why, but I'm not able to see the images (other than emojis) you included in your post.
Last post by duststuff - April 10, 2024, 05:47:51 PM
Quote from: AxL on April 10, 2024, 04:59:16 PM Check this link, to see if it helps you to solve the problem you are suffering from:

Thanks, AxL. Yeah, I had seen that page in my searching and the accepted answer there is what I referred to as probably the easiest solution -- just use a different font that doesn't have that issue. The thing I'm curious about though and what prompted me to start this topic is why a font like Liberation Sans (as well as default system fonts, and probably others that I didn't test) has this issue in Sparky 7 but doesn't have it in Linux Mint Debian 6, since they are both based on Debian 12. My best guess is that it has to do with what packages are installed or one or more language-related settings, but I have no idea what those would be.
Last post by AxL - April 10, 2024, 05:24:13 PM
BTW just out of curiosity, I searched the internet to see what the 'Bangla' font looked like. And surprisingly, I was able to see it without any apparent problem.

In this case using SeaMonkey. And you can see it, in this image:

And finally, these are most of the fonts that I have installed on my system

View the most recent posts on the forum