Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[Solved] System upgrade loop after installation

Started by Sandm, April 11, 2017, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandm

Hello, I installed Gameover edition x86_64/amd64 a day ago. Everythings works fine except system can not perform system upgrade. When I start 'System Upgrade' there opens dialog window saying that there are some quantity of updates to download and asking which action to take (i.e. upgrade, see changelog and exit). When I try to start upgrading some terminal windows being opened and closed and in the end the same dialog window shows up with same quantity of updates. Looks like error occurs while upgrading packages, but I can't see it because terminal windows close immediately. So, I need help with it, I don't know which logfiles to check.

paxmark1

There would be some logs somewhere, but a fast option to find out the problems would be to open a terminal, become root and do the update-upgrade process  (or you can in a perform in a terminal via sudo as well)

0.1  Reboot (or kill -9  processes still running involved with the update-upgrade) Reboot is easier.
0.2  If you are familiar with screen or tmux (terminal multiplexers) use your choice.  You can re-attach if a terminal should fail.   ## not necessary - but nice to know if running a Debian testing based distribution as Sparky is.

1.  "apt-get update"
2.  "apt-get dist-upgrade -d"        ## downloads the updatable packages and stops.
3.  "apt-get dist-upgrade"            ##   performs the full system upgrade

If there are hangups post the output (enclosed in tag markup via the # button above)

Or wait for others to post alternate ways to fix.  Testing-Stretch is frozen so hopefully there will not be multiple problems.   Peace out,
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Sandm

So, I upgraded via terminal without any problems. The app seems to be buggy.

paxmark1

Well, if you don't mind the command line, it is one less thing to go wrong.  The sparky apt is quite small and works for many.  If you continue to use cli (command line) you might as well install apt-listbugs for the sneaky bugs that get past the people using sid.  Using tmux  (or screen) inside a terminal is also quite helpful for the infrequent major bugs that hit testing.  The Debian wiki page for testing has many good hints also. 

If you feel like it , edit your subject line by adding Solved: Or not.  Welcome to Sparky.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

pavroo

The upgrade app is fine.
A problem is with downgrading packages - I sent to repos one or two packs with higher number than old ones, but I changed "-" to "~".
For example: 4-20160412 upgraded to 4~20170409.
APT treats it as an older version and upgrade tool can't handle with.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pavroo

Just uploaded to repos sparky-aptus-upgrade 0.2.6 which fixes the problem.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum