Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Latest Rolling MultiMedia Edition LXDE (not LXQt)

Started by dhinds, October 20, 2017, 10:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

Intending to install the lastest and most complet Sparky Rolling edition on another desktop computer, I downloaded the MultiMedia Edition then noticed that the Desktop Environment is LXDE rather than LXQt, as is the case with the latest Sparky Rolling Home Edition.

Could you explain the reason for that as well as your plans for the future?

Thanks in advance.

pavroo

All special editions, including the Multimedia uses Openbox as default not LXDE or LXQt.
The reasons are quite simple:
- Openbox is very lightweight what is important to all Sparky editions
- Openbox is also small and any desktop can be installed on the top or opposite to Openbox. As many people as many ideas about a default desktop.

So should be kept it as it is now.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on October 20, 2017, 09:51:04 PM
All special editions, including the Multimedia uses Openbox as default not LXDE or LXQt.
The reasons are quite simple:
- Openbox is very lightweight what is important to all Sparky editions
- Openbox is also small and any desktop can be installed on the top or opposite to Openbox. As many people as many ideas about a default desktop.

So should be kept it as it is now.

The reason I thought that the Multimedia Edition used LXDE is because the file manager is PCManFM rather than PCManFM-Qt.

So what I did was install the 64 bit Home Edition (LXQt) instead.

Maybe I should have waited for your answer, first!

In any case everything is working well so far with both the LXQt panel (below) and the Xfce4-panel installed.

I intend to install CivicRM, which the repositories show linked to WordPress and Drupal but not Joomla.

Is there a reason for that or is it something you might consider including?

And in order to use this computer as a server, what else would I need to install?

Thanks in advance, again.

pavroo

QuoteI intend to install CivicRM, which the repositories show linked to WordPress and Drupal but not Joomla.
Don't know that, they are debian's devs packages, so it could be a reason they did not created a package for Joomla!.
As I saw, there is a zip package made by the app developers on their download page, so try it.

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on October 21, 2017, 01:46:05 PM
QuoteI intend to install CivicRM, which the repositories show linked to WordPress and Drupal but not Joomla.
Don't know that, they are debian's devs packages, so it could be a reason they did not created a package for Joomla!.
As I saw, there is a zip package made by the app developers on their download page, so try it.

I thought that might be the case.

I did download the zipped Joomla package and installed what it contained (and the Joomla site shows CivicRM as a plugin).

I am assuming that Sparky can be used as the server and that a typical LAMP installation is required.  (Joomla installs Apache Server, as I recall).

I'm not familiar with CMS's but WordPress, Joomla and Drupal are the most most used for php (which is also the most common language for websites) and CiviCMR requires php so this is the way to go if I need CivicRM - which I'm told is more advanced than others in it's class).

Each of the three (WordPress, Joomla and Drupal) is more powerful and harder to learn than the one preceding so if Joomla seems too difficult I'll try WordPress).

What did you use to create the Sparky Websites?

pavroo

Sparky main page/blog uses Wordpress what I use for about 7 years by now, including my older the Sparky project Linuxiarze.pl.

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on October 21, 2017, 09:34:47 PM
Sparky main page/blog uses Wordpress what I use for about 7 years by now, including my older the Sparky project Linuxiarze.pl.

So maybe that's all I need - plus it's both much easier and has far more add-ons.

View the most recent posts on the forum