Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[SOLVED] Problems after installing nvidia driver

Started by Arles, March 10, 2015, 08:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arles

Hello,

I've searched the forum but only 2 topic came up with keywword nvidia and none of them helps me to solve my problem. I have Sparky 3.6 mate x64 installed. It's a fresh install, the system is set up and it's working great, the only thing that I can see as a problem is refresh rate when watching videos. So i decided to install nvidia drivers. I have Dell Inspiron 17R laptop with Geforce GT525M graphics card. I installed drivers by following these instructions --> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

I used $ nvidia-detect to see which drivers are recommended, then I used apt-get "package" and installed what was suggested. After the install I did this

# mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
# echo -e 'Section "Device"\n\tIdentifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "nvidia"\nEndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

And everyting seemed fine until the first restart. The Grub gives me the ususal choice, when I boot the default sparky installation the screens hangs, all I can see is black screen with blinking cursor in upper left corner. And nothing happens. When I try to boot in recovery it hangs in the middle of boot. So I'm not able to do anything. How can I fix this, or remove nvidia drivers and use nouveau? 

Any advice will be appreciated.

GeneC

Hi Arles

Just now saw your post.
Yes, installing Nvidia the 'Debian way" can be less than sucessful.. :-[

Pavroo has given you an easy way.  I guess you dont have it installed or did not see it.

Go to synaptic and install 'ddm' (Device Driver Manager).  Its a tool to install drivers.

QuoteDevice driver manager

Device Driver Manager is a tool to help users installing third-party hardware drivers.
Currently Nvidia, ATI and Broadcom drivers can be installed and allows to install the PAE kernel for multi-core 32-bit systems.

You MAY have to remove all traces of whatever you previously installed (all nvidia.?).  Not sure on that...
GeneC

Arles

Hi,

I had to format the whole disk and reinstall sparky. I finally have everything setup and now I'll try once again as you suggested. In case somethning goes wrong, how can I revert the proces because I don't want to format everything again. ?

GeneC

Always best to make a full backup before making big changes... ;)
Clonezilla is one of the best options..
http://clonezilla.org/

A bit tedious on first use, but its 2nd nature in time, and MORE than worth it.  It takes a image of your OS and return it to EXACTLY where it was before... ;)
Re-install takes all of 5 minutes or less with Clonezilla.

That said DDM does work nicely.  If you want to insure feedback from it run it from a command line, and note output.  I dont use it myself (I prefer the most recent Nvidia drivers, and use SMXI, that is another tale all together and MORE complicated... ;)..).  Best to try DDM first..
If I remember correctly it does take a good amount of time, so be patient, and dont exit early...
GeneC

Arles

Thank you for the info. I did make a clone backup of my whole partition with Acronis true image. I decided to take a chance with DDM, but I haven't been able to start it, so I tried ddm --force from terminal and it worked. It suggested the nvidia driver but when trying to click on install nothing happened. So I entered install-nvidia in terminal and that worked. It took some time, I rebooted and everything works. How can I check if I'm using nvidia driver ?

I noticed another thing, there is no sound. Alsa and pulse audio checked, nothing is on mute. I tried with audio and video files and no luck. Adding the actual user to audio group did not do the trick. Any suggestions?

Thanks

EDIT: solved the problem, just reconfigured the alsamixer,and I have found Nvidia X server settings in Administration. That solved my other problem.

View the most recent posts on the forum