Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

catfish [solved]

Started by xalara, July 18, 2018, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalara

i can't find catfish (file search app) in synaptic. any ideas? i think it exists in stretch

i am on xfce, not the default de if it has to do something...

manyroads

openbox, dwm & i3wm ~Reg. Linux User #449130

xalara

thanks

i had seen that but i prefer to do it through synaptic (i was expecting to find it there), besides in the page says

Quoteit is strongly suggested to use a package manager like aptitude or synaptic to download and install packages, instead of doing so manually via this website.
i will mark it as solved in a while, but why isn't it there?

manyroads

I think I read here that they do not have their own application package manager (or app repo). It seems that may be something for the future.  ;D

Anyway FWIW, f-search is also 'not there'.  This basically leaves xfce missing traditional search tools.  :(

Other tools that offer some (or more) of the Catfish search capabilities are Synapse or perhaps another file manager like pcmanfm.  Just some ideas to tide you over. ;) ; 
openbox, dwm & i3wm ~Reg. Linux User #449130

xalara

i see... thanks.

it seems that i have to use the command locate -b "filename" to do the job via terminal...

crypto

remember to updatdb for locate or you may not see what you would expect ..

paxmark1

If you are in testing (Sparky5), packages can suddenly disappear. Packages that have not had enough "maintenance" for Debian can be pulled   In this case it appears it has been pulled but reintroduced into Sid, (unstable).  If you really want to get information, lots, about a package go to the Debian package site. In this case  https://packages.debian.org/sid/catfish

Examine the right hand section
examining the changelog
No Buster - Testing Sparky 5       3-1/2 year gap 2014 to 2018 in upgrades.    However it is in Sid and therefore should someday transfer into Buster - Testing.

go to their homepage.

I and others really liked catfish, but it sat there for awhile while major changes were occuring in linux, gcc systemd, etc.   Glad to see catfish is getting some love with it's code.  The devs were doing midori and catfish and a web browser is a lot of work.  I did like the cat motif on their web pages then.  Again, a web browser is a lot of work.  Wise people over on siduction were saying about midori, light, nice, but a serious security problem several years back. 

Debian will not stomach certain types of bugs. 
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776798

For myself, it was just being clunky in Sid and also in Stretch when Stretch was testing.  That was a few years ago. 

So, whenever you wonder about what is going on with program "blah" and why it disappeared a search  with "Debian package blah"  will probably give you the answer.

I do not see an irc channel to ask for help from devs. 

peace out.

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum