Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

systemd

Started by paxmark1, February 08, 2014, 03:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paxmark1

One reason I selected sparky was to follow the progress of systemd.  aptitude show systemd yields that 204-6 is not installed.

1.  Is systemd enabled by default?

2.  I have the lxde 32 bit version.  initial messages state that lightdm is not started.   This is just after the mta messages.  logging in via cli and sudo startx gets lxde up.  However all terminals that I then start are root terminals

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

pavroo

1. It's not

2. Create the file: /home/you/.dmrc and place the code:

Code:

[Desktop]
Session=lightdm-xsession

Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

paxmark1

.Xauthority was owned by root.  I did the editing of ~/.dmrc (it was already there) and then from ~/

sudo chown you:you .X*

and I can do startx (with no sudo) and my terminals are not /root based.  Good enough for now       Lightdm still not running automagically, just before the Alt-F1 terminal a note says that lightdm is disabled in the kernel (3.12) via "text"  Will sleuth more in /var/log/

thanks
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

pavroo

Check file: /etc/default/grub and remove 'text" (if eny) from the line"

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Then:

Code:

update-grub

Check file: /etc/init/lightdm.override - remove it if exist.

Check file: /etc/X11/default-display-manager - there should be text inside:

Code:

/usr/sbin/lightdm

Check /var/lib/lightdm/ - it should be owned to lightdm:

Code:

chown lightdm.lightdm lightdm/

including /var/lib/lightdm/.Xauthority

paxmark1

Thanks.  Commented out while appending  the  date done

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

then

Code:

sudo update grub

everything else correct including ownership of lightdm and now I can choose razorqt or lxde from lightdm

pavroo

Talking back to systemd - I have started some tests with systemd already.

paxmark1

Went at systemd stand alone two ways.  Able to compile -208 32 bit on amd-c50 and on an atom, quite the slog, lots of dependencies.  On one I went with apt-get in testing with -206 and it worked for awhile until I cut the cord of sysv.  On the other box with -208 I gave up on the rescue shell.  I had blazed to far with the apt-get remove sysv.

It does have some really nice logging features, For individuals newer to linux who wish to grow steadily, it is a slam dunk that knowing your way around systemd will help in many ways down the road.

I am more involved with the bug-testing at Distributed Proofreaders Canada and also trying out preliminary text manipulation tools for the crafting of .epubs, etc. via slightly marked up text.  DPC differs from Gutenberg in that it is UTF-8 and has the newer books.

My time for systemd is limited, but I am game to try.

View the most recent posts on the forum