Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

4.3 dist upgrade form yesterday, kde (plasma) borked (dead) [SOLVED]

Started by ElQuia, June 07, 2016, 07:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElQuia

4.3 dist upgrade form yesterday, on kde (plasma), no menu, no standard menu, no backgrounds.
Did an dist upgrade yesterday am on testing, do always dist upgrades, did yesterday rebooted, no backgrounds, start menu does NOT work, nor does  alternate menu. sparky utils like system upgrade do not work or even icons on taslkbar have gone...

"start menu": " Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kikoff/contents/ui/Kickoff.qml.27:1:modeule"org.kde.plasma.private.kickoff" is not installed

kernel 4.6.0

ElQuia

black background, right click not working. did an apt -get update && apt-get dist-ugrade, downloaded some packages, rebooted got an:

Plasma cannot start -- Plasma  "All shell packages missing. This is an installation issue, please contact your distribution"

:'( >:(

ElQuia

LXQT and XFCE desktops installed on same notebook work OK, it is KDE (Plasma) that is borked.

PLEASE how do I fix it???

iceslide

Just this evening I was installing Sparky KDE just to be met with this problem. After upgrading the system with the sparky-first-run assistant the desktop was unusable.

I had to reinstall and will keep from upgrading until it is resolved.

ElQuia

I had my kde installation, very much personalized. Lot´s of apps, wallpapers, themes, etc. LOTS OF WORK.  :'(  Just hoping Pavroo or some one can sugest a fix, being able to log with other Desktops, might be of help...  ???

pavroo

I just get back home, and tried to upgrade the KDE installation, so...
Do not upgrade KDE now.
Make safe upgrade only:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

and wait a while...
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

paxmark1

Plasma 4.6 is causing problems for many.  You might want to search out specific sites in irc and forums where people are discussing problems in possibly the hardest DE at the present time because of ground breaking changes in KDE.  Peace out.

iceslide -  upgrade or dist-upgrade? 

For the black background, try looking at
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6236.msg51329#msg51329
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

ElQuia

Pavroo, the problem is I ALREADY did the dist-upgrade, and more over I am on testing (you helped me with that)

Is there any way to get older KDE back?  .... I can use the notebook with lxqt or xfce, those are working. But, well they are plane jane compared to KDE as it was......
If cant be done now I guess (don´t know how to do it) that when kde guys get there act in place I should remove KDE DE completely and re install that DE????

Quote from: pavroo on June 08, 2016, 12:56:10 AM
I just get back home, and tried to upgrade the KDE installation, so...
Do not upgrade KDE now.
Make safe upgrade only:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

and wait a while...

pavroo

QuoteI ALREADY did the dist-upgrade
I've seen that.

There is no way to recover it, if you did not make a backup before.

What I can suggest is:
1. Reinstall (make fresh installation) KDE spin and make apt-get upgrade (only) waiting for fixing packages in the Debian repos.
2. Use other DE without the system reinstallation, waiting for fixing.

ElQuia

Pavroo, question:

As I can login with lsqt or sfce as DE, could I remove KDE as DE and RE install it without having to re install full system? If so, what is the procedure?????

If I go on using lxqt as DE, do you think that later "fixes" in debian will "solve" the problem without having to do a full reinstall???

pavroo

The issue is fixed now, I just made full upgrade.
Try to install the KDE packages back or if you'd like, try to install 'sparky-desktop-kde' meta package.

ElQuia

WOW, OK Pavroo. It worked. Did this:

1- From lxqt session did a apt-get update, and after apt-get dist-upgrade
2- rebooted
3- arrrrghhhhh, system rebooted to a terminal interface, went with startx, something mixed like a hibrid lxqt/xfce showed up
4- Used an sparky "system upgrade tool" that I found in the hybrid
5- Closed session to the same terminal, went start x again
6- ran terminal and did apt-get install sparky-desktop kde
7- rebooted in to lxqt  ;D it worked as expected fiuuuuuuu
8- log off, log in to plasma it WORKS, ALL my preferences are there. DONT KNOW WHAT version of kde/plasma it is (is there any way to find out???)

Well, after scare, it seems it IS working. ANY ideas, suggestions, etc will be WELCOME

Wombat

Encountered this problem Friday 3 June ...no solutions anywhere so thought it must have been  unique to this PC with it's enterprise specific NVideo card.

No worries, downloaded the latest SparkyKDE installed and  it worked....no problems...so I did the upgrade...oops!

No worries, I wanted to give Bruce's new Gnome Spin a go..get away from plasma which seems to be the cause of the problem....offline!

Cinnamon seems to be the 'in' desktop at the moment so downloaded the stable version from Debian... this PC is mission critical...the wife's facebook PC...so thought stable may be better.

After SparkyKDEPlasma, Cinnamon seems so deficient,,,back to Debian and downloaded Debian KDE Stable...just a black screen...downloaded Debian Stable KDE- non free and installed.

After 2 days still unable to get it as good as the other PC's still running the un-upgraded SparkyKDEtesting and have a new appreciation of the work that goes into this distro.

Zaico

I still get the black screen, thankfully on a computer I don't use too much. Did you get it to work?

ElQuia

As of yesterday, I have plasma working, will open testing notebook later and if I find any problems. Will be back.

AND, yes, Sparky KDE is really NICEEEEEE (good work there guys!!, love it  :) )  Some bugs with plasma 5, but when those get polished... WOW
I am centering most of my linux desktops on Sparky KDE for modern PC's and Sparky LXQT on older machines, a.k.a. netbooks, old pentiums or similar. LXQT is mean and lean, no frills.
Cinnamon? ...nahhh, don`t like it.... Mate?? welll ..... so so, but LXQT is better.... XFCE? .... well outdated.... of course this is MY taste, other may feel or think different.....

View the most recent posts on the forum