Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Change System Updrade Scheduler to Weekly

Started by otello, July 03, 2019, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otello

I would like to know if I can change the check interval for system updates. Currently you can only set time intervals: up to 12 hours with the "System Upgrade Scheduler".

Can I set the frequency of updates to once a week? (for example) or once a month ... or whatever it is?

Thank you in advance for any answers and suggestions.

Otello from Italy

dbarron

Semantics:  Yes you can, it's your system.  You can change the timing on the scheduler or simply ignore it for however long you wish.

However, it's not advisable to do so (in either case) because of security and stability updates.  If you're concerned about internet usage, the check is fairly trivial in bandwidth and eventually you'd be doing the upgrade anyway, so whether you do 3 -100 MB updates or 1-900 MB update, I don't see it's likely to be much different.  I however, do not know your reasoning, which may be very valid.

Remember, the spirit Linux is freedom and you're not forced to update or do anything.  However, we may tell you it's a terrible idea (lol), but that's usually just our opinion.

otello

I totally agree with you!

In fact I have more than one installation of Sparky Linux and, on all this, the frequency of updates is the default.

The change I requested (which I do not know how to do! instead you?) refers to a PC that I use in a country house very badly connected and every time updates block my work. In fact, I use the machine almost always offline.

Can anyone tell me how to change the frequency of updates?

Thank you!!!

paxmark1

On a systems level, for the usage stated, a stable system and not a rolling release would be most logical.  You can have either a stable or a rolling system with Sparky.  You did not state your system.
"inxi -b"
is helpful for informing us about your system.

If you are in Sparky 5 at present,  it is a minor change to replace all instances of "testiing" to "buster" in one file. Buster becomes stable very soon.  I do not believe you want to be arriving at some place to have fun and be dealing with a hundred or more updates.

Have you checked the wiki?
https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php   
It would be aptus related, however your DE might also be scheduling your updates.

I only do updates/upgrades on the command line, I can not help you with the automated frequency. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum