Started by dhinds, October 12, 2013, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

Type it in a text console as root:

Code:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install wine-bin:i386

After that Wine will show up in the main Menu and right click menu as well.

And you shouldn't have any problem with crossover instalation.

Edit:

I will add i386 wine package for all 64bit Sparky spins at next releases, thanks.

pavroo

Code:

apt-get update

Edit:

I will add i386 wine package for all 64bit Sparky spins at next releases, thanks.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on October 12, 2013, 23:21

Type it in a text console as root:e

Code:

apt-get update

Edit:

Thank you pavroo for your rapid and informative response, which appears capable of resolving this issue - so much so, that I may well go ahead and install Sparky 3.1 Mate right away, without trying it first from the DVD.

(I am now in Win7, after a failed installation -it failed to boot- of Manjaro Mate, a Community Edition.  That doesn't happen with Debian Derivatives -except KWheezy, and I heard that bug was fixed).

I can see why you wanted this posted to the Applications Section - so it could be helpful to others with the same problem.

The quality of the responses received when posting problems to the forum is an an important element to be considered, when deciding whether or not to install (and depend on) a given OS.  (You have your work cut out for you but seem to up to the task.

I will mark this solved as soon as I carry out the installation.

I suggest that the i386 wine package be provided as a upgrade for all 64 bit Sparky flavors with Wine preinstalled (rather than wait for the next edition), if that can be done.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on October 12, 2013, 23:21

Code:

apt-get update

Edit:

As I suspected, the solution provided worked without a hitch and my Win PIM EccoPro installed with no need for Crossover.  In fact, I did try the fix BEFORE installing and surprisingly, Wine was working after the installation - I did not have to repeat the process.

The following comment is related more to installation but I will mention it here now and transfer it later if needed.

I intended to install to btrfs partitions (/ & /home) and installed that capacity before installing but the installer didn't recognize them anyway so I allowed it to use ext4 instead.  I understand that Debian developers are working on including ZFS capacity in debian and that sounds like the best way to go for the future, anyway.

Also, this ThinkPad has two hard drives configured to RAID 0 originally but are now independent drives, with Win7 on 1 and Sparky on 0 - each drive with it's own bootloader.  The  boot order is set for Drive 1 first so Sparky won't boot unless I insert a CD or Flash Drive with SuperGrub2.  IOW, no one else can boot into Sparky unless they are aware of this, because the W520 will boot straight into Win7, otherwise.  No boot menu appears, and that is what I wanted. (There are reasons for that that I can explain if anyone's interested - it is an anti-theft measure).

I will mark this solved now.

rayman3264

hi there folks i was wondering if this mod has been employed on present spins ? or do i need to apply it now .?

pavroo

Yes, there is. I put info about that on release notes.

rayman3264

yes i must get back to reading those ... sorry I just got carried away

dhinds

I took of the [SOLVED] because I no longer find the option to use wine when I right-click on a windows .exe file.

I re-introduced the commands provided above and rebooted but that didn't resolve the problem. I also tried to reinstall Wine via synaptic but wasn't able to do so.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

pavroo

The problem accured after upgrading wine and its libs up to 1.6 version.

I've been working on it so be patient, please.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on February 18, 2014, 19:18

The problem accured after upgrading wine and its libs up to 1.6 version.

I've been working on it so be patient, please.

So you're already aware of the problem and are working on a solution.  Would it be a good idea to remove the 1.6 version of wine and re-install v. 1.5 meanwhile?

TIA

pavroo

Honestly, wine makes me seek.

It still exist in the system but the update removed wine from the menu and the contects menu.

To run an "exe" applications type in a terminal:

Code:

wine /patch-to/file.exe

for example (it's for 64 bit system):

Code:

wine /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe

Anyway, you can use PlayOnLinux to install and run 'exe' apps.

It's what I can do now.

dhinds

I just logged back into Sparky Ultra and the problem appears to have been solved.

IOW, "Wine Windows Program Loader" now appears when right clicking on an .exe file in PCManFM, although I didn't even update.

pavroo

I've seen that too.

Wine still is not present in applications menu, but is available in the contects menu so it is a kind of progress.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on February 25, 2014, 21:32

I've seen that too.

Wine still is not present in applications menu, but is available in the contects menu so it is a kind of progress.

I use the xfce4-panel below (with no wbar) and the tint2 panel above on Sparky Ultra, and the Aplications menu installed to the lower panel shows Wine > Programs > EccoPro & Solid Converter PDF (the two Windoze I use).  I also use Katmouse to allow scrolling in EccoPro (an old but powerful PIM no longer sold) every time I reboot, which requires the menu appearing when I right click on KatMouse's .exe file.

So I have no problem at all at present on this Gigabte X58A-UD7 based MB w/ an i7 w 16 RAM (but an Asus M5A 78L-M LX with an AMD FX w/ 4 Gb has not recovered - although I ran Sparky APTUS Upgrade and there was still no change, even after rebooting, so I installed a 32 bit version and can use it that way).

pavroo

There is still not the Wine entry in the applications and contects menu.

But I have a solution for that.

Install package 'sparky-wine' from our repository.

It will let you install 'EXE' applications from a local drive.

Just let me know does it work fine.

View the most recent posts on the forum