Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

boot fail on macbookpro2.1

Started by forerunner, June 27, 2015, 12:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forerunner

I have a macbookpro 2.1 (later 2006 with EFI i386) with a bug on firmware that not receive keyboard input in case of DVD with both support for bios and EFI only x64bit. This means no boot with distro x64bit –> at moment it is installed LMDE2 i386.

Since rel 4 added support for EFI i386 I tried to install it:
boot via efi OK
but the system hangs trying to load the kernel...............same behaviour in compatibility mode too.

Any suggestions?

MoroS

One thing you can do to check if it's a KMS issue (sounds like one) is to try to add "acpi=off" or "nomodeset" to the kernel command line parameters (while in GRUB press 'e', find the line starting with "linux" and add one of the mentioned options at the end).
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

forerunner

Great "nomodeset" make the magic!!!!

Thanks a lot.

MoroS

Quote from: forerunner on June 28, 2015, 11:33:35 AM
Great "nomodeset" make the magic!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Great. :) To make the setting permanent (any manual grub.cfg edits will be removed by kernel updates) add the "nomodeset" to the following line to /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

So it will look like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

That way, when a kernel update occurs, GRUB will automatically add "nomodeset" for you.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

forerunner

No need to add "nomodeset" after installation. This issue happens only booting live image.......

Install linux on this machine has always been quite a nightmare!!!!!!!!

I dealt with EFI i386, no boot from USB, keyboard bug with ISO both bios and x64 EFI support, live kernel hang and so.......... >:(

Usually I succeded to install only ubuntu flavours with their iso x64 for mac image.  :)

Sparky Linux is the first distribution which I can boot from DVD in EFI mode......Absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!! ;D

View the most recent posts on the forum