Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Sparky Installer too big for netbooks

Started by djh, May 17, 2016, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djh

I came across Sparky while searching for a good debian based linux distro that supported easy full installation to USB for a portable experience, so many thanks and congratulations on a job well done!

My first improvement suggestion - make the installer dialog slightly smaller.  I had real trouble running it on my old 800x600 netbook because the dialog is just a bit too tall to fit properly.  Even after I had the brain wave of making the bottom taskbar (aka panel in linux speak) run vertically, the back/next buttons were hard to get to.

pavroo

I don't develop the installer, I only fork it for Sparky.
Anyway, there is, as a backup, yad based Sparky Advanced Installer which display smaller windows to fit lower monitor resolution.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

djh

Thanks!

I don't remember seeing such an option.  Is Sparky Advanced Installer available in the xfce version?  I am at work at the moment, but I just googled "Sparky Advanced Installer" and it seems to be pointing to "Sparky MinimalISO" which is not what I am using.

pavroo

Using Sparky Advanced Installer in the "Home" editions (lxde, lxqt, xfce, kde, mate) it will install the live system as it is.
If you'd like to install Sparky with a desktop of your choice and minimal set of apps, use MinimalGui or MinimalCLI iso image:
http://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/minimal

djh

OK, I am now at home and have launched the live sparky 4.3 xfce iso and I can't see the "Sparky Advanced Installer", only the "Sparky Installer" shortcut on the desktop.

How do I launch Sparky Advanced Installer ?

EDIT:  I think I have found the answer,   $ sudo sparkylinux-installer

pavroo

It's correct.

The launcher is placed in the Menu-> System too.

py-thon

Quote from: djh on May 17, 2016, 04:31:09 PM
I had real trouble running it on my old 800x600 netbook because the dialog is just a bit too tall to fit properly.  Even after I had the brain wave of making the bottom taskbar (aka panel in linux speak) run vertically, the back/next buttons were hard to get to.
It is annoying, I admit, and I once had the same problem because I had forgotten that you can move the dialog window (any non-maximised window) by using Alt + left mouse button.
This way you can get to the buttons.
Tower and Notebook: Sparky (testing) 64bit MATE

View the most recent posts on the forum