Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

XFCE 4.12

Started by Glenn101, March 03, 2015, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn101

As everyone probably knows by now, XFCE 4.12 has hit the streets. There are hints taht there are some Ubuntu ppa's with the new release already up and running, or maybe I should say downloading.

I myself, am pretty much set on XFCE as my main desktop and would like to see a package compatible with Debian testing (and Sparky, as that is the distro I am running right now). I would be willing to donate a significant sum of USD for someone to take the time and make this happen, and make it available for everyone to download.. I would do it myself, but I really haven't the time. I have compiled all of the main modules myself and installed them on a laptop. I like what I see so far. But, again, I really do not have the time to go through the process of making a Debian package for each module. I have never done such a thing, and the learning curve, while not too steep, would have me still toiling away maybe even until the 4.14 release. If anyone were to think that I am slow, they would be very correct, in an understated way.

I just would like to see this latest release available to us nuts and bolts users as soon as possible.

I can be reached via email; at thomas.g.thigpen@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Glenn

dhinds

I believe that the Black Pig is who develops Sparky's Xfce version.  Sparky's main version is LXDE.  SolydX is based on Debian Testing, and I have installed and used Xfce with Gentoo (Calculate Linux Desktop Xfce - cldx), openSUSE and Fedora with some sucess, depending on the computer.

On my main desktop machine an upgraded Sparky Openbox Ultra with the Xfce4-panel and a number of Xfce plugins helps me get the job done.

The Black Pig

Sorry dhinds , I gave up on FCE  after I tried the LXQT version - which I'm sold on , far better in My opinion  ;)

Glenn101

Quote from: The Black Pig on March 06, 2015, 12:10:15 AM
Sorry dhinds , I gave up on FCE  after I tried the LXQT version - which I'm sold on , far better in My opinion  ;)

The greta part about it is that we have the choice(s). I tried LXQT and do not like the way you have to add applications to the panel. I do like the way you can add several (as many as you like?) applications to a single program launcher and access them as a menu.

That being said, I have been able to deibianify my compilations using the "checkinstall" utility. It does not really set up dependency checks, etc. but it will generate and install a debian package. However, you also have to download, compile, and install most of the apps because of the dependency problem.

I compiled everything on a laptop running pure Debian testing. Then I transferred the debian files to my desktop running sparky 3.6, uninstalled xfce4.10, installed all my new 4.12 files, and it is working, and it is fast.

I will keep checking on LXQT, though. I seem to have a fetish installing different distributions and desk tops.

Glenn

dhinds

Quote from: The Black Pig on March 06, 2015, 12:10:15 AM

In what way?

The Black Pig

Well it has the same 'panel' as XFCE  so the desktop set up is the same , this is mine at the moment

MoroS

Just redirecting the attention on all Xfce 4.12 threads to this post: http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,3057.msg6094.html#msg6094
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum