Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Looking for CrunchBang Backup

Started by KrunchTime, December 04, 2014, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrunchTime

I decided to try out SparkyLinux as a possible backup in case anything were to ever happen to CrunchBang Linux, my favorite distro.

My Linux experience began back in 1994/1995 with Mandrake.  I still remember purchasing a boxed set of discs and instruction manual at CompUSA (chain of computer stores in the U.S. that no longer exists).  I got home, loaded the OS, and thought to myself, "You've got to be kidding me."  I quickly decided that this Linux thing wasn't for me.

I gave Linux another try when Ubuntu began attracting attention.  I installed it in a dual-boot environment and was fairly impressed.  I also learned about Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu at this time and tried all three as well.  However, I ran into instances where I wasn't able to do something under Linux that I could easily do in Windows, and decided once again that Linux wasn't for me.

In April 2010, I purchased an ASUS EeePC.  Windows XP ran slowly on the ASUS EeePC, so I did some research and came across a Linux distro called CrunchBang Linux.  At the time, it was based on Ubuntu.  I installed CrunchBang in a dual-boot environment with Windows XP and was blown away.  Everything, and I mean everything, worked out of the box.  Eventually, I decided that I just didn't have the time to tinker with Linux and removed the CrunchBang partition from my EeePC.

In November/December 2011, I installed a preview release of Windows 8 in VirtualBox.  I had read about the new Metro interface and I didn't think I would like it based on what I had read.  Well, my experience with the preview release confirmed my suspicions.  I hated the Metro interface.  I then decided to give Linux another look and typed the URL for CrunchBang Linux into a browser to see if they were still around.  They were and the distro was now based on Debian Stable.

I started out with CrunchBang running under VirtualBox.  In March 2012, I decided to dual-boot CrunchBang Linux and Windows 7 on my main laptop.  I have been using CrunchBang Linux ever since.  CrunchBang Linux became my primary OS this past summer when I figured out how to access peripherals in Windows 7 running under VirtualBox.  I even put a how-to together on the Tips, Tricks, & Scripts forum on the CrunchBang Linux site.  Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36436

Other distros that I've played around with over the years:  MEPIS, BackTrack, Tails, PCLinuxOS, Antergos, Salix, OpenSUSE, siduction, SolydXK, UbuntuCE, SystemRescueCD, Linux Mint, KNOPPIX, Clonezilla, GoboLinux, and LinuxBBQ.

I really like the SparkyLinux Base Openbox spin.  It allows me to start with a minimal system using my utmost favorite window manager and panel.  Kudos to the development team for offering it.

way12go

I tried more than 15 different linux distros and the best are OpenSUSE and Sparkylinux. And between the two Sparkylinux is the best. OpenSUSE looks like bloated to me, yeah it's a very stable RPM package distro and is very good on its own but, Sparkylinux wins the race because it's fast, responsive, stable, rolling release and the small tools it comes with make it an invaluable distro. Sparkylinux is simply awesome. I must say almost all linux distros are good if I know how to play with them. But, I've a mind/brain disorder, a very dangerous mind disorder known as Paranoid Schizophrenia so I don't have mental resources, yes I'm intelligent but my Prefrontal Cortex is damaged and Temporal Lobe is also damaged. So I don't have working memory or it's damaged and longterm memory is also damaged.

As far as my experience and judgment goes Sparkylinux stands among the crowd. It's because of Sparkylinux I came to know that Debian is name for Stability. Even SteamOS is based on Debian Stable and needs minimum 4 GB RAM.

I tried Sparkylinux LxDE, Gameover, Openbox and now I'm using JWM. When I used LxDE the software I mentioned in a different thread for rooting Android devices worked like charm but, in JWM it doesn't. So I figured the base versions are always good to go if your requirements are low or if you know what you want and if you know how to deal with it.

In JWM the android root software doesn't work.

Then I concluded that I must install LxDE or XFCE and then try JWM from Synaptic and keep login with JWM. I want to download XFCE as LxDE may not be available. Waiting for 3.6 Edition.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

KrunchTime

Re: LXDE...yeah, it's just a matter of time before that goes away because of LXQT (RazorQT and LXDE projects merged).

pavroo

Quoteit's just a matter of time before that goes away because of LXQT
It is still under development, but the question is how long?
QuotePreviously, razor-qt and lxde project merged and formed LXQt project, which just had a 0.8 release. Though the original plan was to migrate to Qt, this does not mean that LXDE is dropped. As many of the users have noted, many LXDE gtk+ components got updates recently
http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1310
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum