Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Recent posts

Applications / Re: Recent GRUB / Sparky Updat...
Last post by SparkyBookworm - October 04, 2022, 04:00:06 AM
I'm finding in many ways Sparky is easier to use than Windows 10. I was using Win10 primarily to run virtual machines to test various Linux(es) out. Now Sparky is on my machines instead instead of Windows doing the same thing and more.

I have a minimal-spec budget laptop just under 300 US dollars. XFCE runs so well that with just under 7gig of available ram I can run the super-bloated Garuda Gnome "Xen" kernel Archlinux installation in virtualization on top of XFCE with a browser open, giving the majority of my RAM and hard disk to the temporary Arch installation. True, it barely runs the bloated Garuda on the 4gig of RAM I can give it, but Garuda is fancy I guess.

It seems that all the Arch Linuxes I've recently tested out in virtualization on Sparky bare metal are intentionally holding back the Cataclysm version to 0.F.3-2 instead of the newest version 0.F.3-5 (which seems to be the current version that Sparky is on). However, this is probably best choice for CDDA developers as the game still works 100% in the terminal curses mode. This obviously isn't the optimal way to learn how to play CDDA as the game is sort of a steep learning curve even in the Tiles SDL gaming mode.

If you haven't tried this game out and want to learn how to play it while using Sparky Rolling, I'd suggest installing the Flatpak version , I think it has the beta version of Ultica tiles and the older CDDA inventory system, but you can still have a much easier time learning the game using tiles. I'm still getting used to understanding the terminal/cli version of CDDA myself. The tiles version is beautiful and the Cli version is humorously punishing.

This is good incentive to learn the game for terminal play.
Applications / Re: nm-tray
Last post by pavroo - October 03, 2022, 06:28:06 PM
SparkyTerminal (spterm) is a terminal emulator forked from k3rmit terminal, which I use for all sparky tools.
Spimply run:
spterm -h
spterm -v
Applications / Re: nm-tray
Last post by SparkyBookworm - October 03, 2022, 05:04:58 PM
Speaking of Terminals, what exactly is the 'SparkyTerminal' window that opens and runs during the daily software updates? Is 'SparkyTerminal' an alternate terminal or is it the same terminal as the desktop environment's pre-installed terminal emulator going by a different name? Does 'SparkyTerminal' = XFCE terminal / Konsole / etc? 
Last post by SparkyBookworm - October 03, 2022, 05:01:06 PM
Sparky Linux kernel / Sparky kernel 6.0 removes wal...
Last post by rektal - October 03, 2022, 04:46:39 PM
You shoudn't install the newest kernel 6.0.
It has removed my wallpaper and all my plasma widgets.
I couldn't even restore it using timeshift.

It was very bad idea for me.
Newbie questions / Re: Sparky virtual machine can...
Last post by mirto - October 02, 2022, 12:27:07 PM
Workaround

With APTus install Mate desktop.

From a Mate session copy&paste works correctly

There is any solution instead of the workaround?

Newbie questions / Re: Sparky virtual machine can...
Last post by mirto - October 01, 2022, 09:26:18 AM
Well, I'm actually using spice-vdagent.

In the Kubuntu host the spice-vdagentd daemon is active.
I suppose it is working because other guests (Ubuntu-Mate, Kubuntu, Kali) are able to correctly copy and paste.
All clients were created usingVirtual Machine Manager.

UPDATE

The problem is only with Sparky 7 rolling KDE (iso sparkylinux-2022.07-x86_64-kde.iso)
Instead Sparky Gameover edition (iso sparkylinux-2022.07-x86_64-gameover.iso) works correctly

The Sparky Gameover copy and paste correctly ald spice-vdagent is started:

mirto@sparkytest:~$ sudo systemctl status spice-vdagent
[sudo] password di mirto:
● spice-vdagentd.service - Agent daemon for Spice guests
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/spice-vdagentd.service; indirect; vend>
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2022-10-01 10:57:03 CEST; 3min 33s ago
TriggeredBy: ● spice-vdagentd.socket
    Process: 1526 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd $SPICE_VDAGENTD_EXTRA_ARGS>
   Main PID: 1532 (spice-vdagentd)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 6868)
     Memory: 1.0M
        CPU: 362ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/spice-vdagentd.service
             └─1532 /usr/sbin/spice-vdagentd

ott 01 10:57:03 sparkytest systemd[1]: Starting Agent daemon for Spice guests...
ott 01 10:57:03 sparkytest systemd[1]: Started Agent daemon for Spice guests.
ott 01 10:57:03 sparkytest spice-vdagentd[1532]: opening vdagent virtio channel
ott 01 10:57:03 sparkytest spice-vdagentd[1532]: Set max clipboard: 104857600
ott 01 10:57:03 sparkytest spice-vdagentd[1532]: Set max clipboard: 104857600
mirto@sparkytest:~$

Instead in Sparky KDE copy&paste don't work and spice-vdagent is stopped

mirto@vmbianco500:~$ sudo systemctl status spice-vdagent
○ spice-vdagentd.service - Agent daemon for Spice guests
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/spice-vdagentd.service; indirect; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
mirto@vmbianco500:~$

I'll try again to enable and start the service.

I'dont know what is the difference between the two Sparky versions.

Last post by SparkyBookworm - October 01, 2022, 04:05:47 AM
Cataclysm-DDA SDL mode is also malfunctioning in the Debian distro "SIDuction". Maybe has something to do with current Cataclysm being on Kernel 5.18 instead of the cutting edge 5.19 kernel? It is a guess.

Siduction handles the Grub update slightly more aesthetically (there is a Gui to click check marks on the boxes using your mouse, instead of having to use the 'space' key (you are possibly screwed if you instead press 'enter' key and might end up without Grub?), otherwise there are way more prompts during the update for Siduction, making Sparky more intuitive and easier to update, other than how Grub is handled. It is a minor quip. 

This was my first time using Siduction, it reminded me somewhat of Sparky but lacking the extra packages Sparky has, FAR less browsers and other useful apps for everyday desktop users. I initially thought Sparky was based on Testing but maybe it is Sid-based now? I love the recent updated browsers editions. For many users browsers are by far the most used application. I like not having to use Flatpak for my preferred browser. This alone makes Sparky special and as far as I can tell only Fedora does this, but only if you add third party repositories.. On Arch half the time the distro relies on flatpaks or other images. Otherwise you are going to rely on appimage, flatpak and snap for your specialty-browser updates. 

Sparky continues to impress.
Newbie questions / Sparky virtual machine cannot ...
Last post by mirto - September 30, 2022, 09:54:47 PM
Hi all,
I have a Kubuntu 22.04 host and a KVM virtual machine with Sparkylinux 7 kde as guest.
I'm not able to copy and paste to or from the guest.

What I've tried:
  • Verified that copy and paste works correctly with other guests
  • installed in sparky spice-vdagent

Strangely after a reboot the spice-vdagent is stopped

mirto@vmbianco500:~$ sudo systemctl status spice-vdagent
[sudo] password di mirto:
○ spice-vdagentd.service - Agent daemon for Spice guests
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/spice-vdagentd.service; indirect; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
mirto@vmbianco500:~$

Also starting the service by hand doesn't work.

What can I do?

View the most recent posts on the forum