Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[solved] unable to install other desktops (Pantheon, Gnome)

Started by nubipengen, February 02, 2018, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nubipengen

hello everybody,

i am using sparky 5.2 xfce 32-bit.
i was trying to install several desktop environments :
- pantheon
- gnome

firstly, i installed pantheon desktop using "Desktop Installer" in Aptus menu.
it was successful (no error message), and pantheon desktop is listed in the login screen, together with the default xfce desktop.
but when i selected pantheon to login, the visual was not pantheon desktop environment, but xfce instead. the menu was exactly the same as xfce menu, the file manager was thunar too, not the one from pantheon.

later, i installed gnome 3 from synaptic. it was successful too, no error message.
but the same thing happened. several gnome options were listed in the login screen, but when i selected any of these gnome desktop to login, the desktop was still xfce, not gnome.

it looks like my sparky 5.2 xfce installation refuses other desktop environment installation.

how do i fix this issue ?
thanks before.

pavroo

Hi
I don't think is about xfce, probably is about the pantheon.
Sparky's pantheon desktop is set with slim login manager so did you choose different desktop with F1 key?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

nubipengen

thank you, sir.

i forgot which login manager i chose when installing pantheon desktop.
so this (attached photo) is the current login manager.
pressing F1 button does not display desktop selection, but more like making the fonts and icons larger, as if it is intended for people with sight difficulties.

if i missed something in the installation process, how do i fix this issue at this point ?
thanks again, sir.

pavroo

I can see there is a problem with lightdm.
Pantheon should install slim so try to reconfigure it:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure slim
If slim is not installed, install it and choose slim instead of lightdm, then reboot.
When system displays slim login manager, use F1 to choose Pantheon, then type your user name + Enter, password + Enter.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

nubipengen

Quote from: pavroo on February 03, 2018, 01:22:45 PM
I can see there is a problem with lightdm.
Pantheon should install slim so try to reconfigure it:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure slim
If slim is not installed, install it and choose slim instead of lightdm, then reboot.
When system displays slim login manager, use F1 to choose Pantheon, then type your user name + Enter, password + Enter.

thank you, sir. most probably i chose lightdm instead of slim when installing pantheon.
i will install slim and try again, thanks again, sir.

nubipengen

after following your suggestion, it works now, thank you, sir.

there is a slight bug with pantheon desktop, when trying to log out, the logout button does not work; nothing happens when it is pressed.
xfce and gnome desktops' logout button works well.

but it is not a big deal, i will just reboot the computer.

thanks again, sir.

View the most recent posts on the forum