Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Error on trying to boot installation DVD

Started by SynthGal, January 22, 2018, 01:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SynthGal

I've got a Lenovo Ideapad 300 15ISK, and I'm trying to install 5.2 x64 Game Over. I'm using UEFI.

When I try to boot from the installation DVD I burned, all I get is very fast text right over the lenovo bootup logo (so there's no screen clearing even happening) as follows:

error: attempt to read or write outside of partition.
error: not a correct XFS inode.

I have absolutely no idea what this is and googling has had no success. The disk boots to the initial menu on my legacy BIOS Desktop. I don't have any other UEFI computers to test boot on. I'll provide details as requested. Help?

paxmark1

Hmm,   if it
Fails very early in newer machine on a DVD   UEFI
Succeeds to get to initial menu on legacy machine     

My first good thought is that there is dust or loose connection or something wrong with the DVD player on the new machine. 
If you have a spare usb stick  put the iso onto the stick.. Numerous guides including the wiki here over how to do that ( I use "dd" - other ways like "cp" also work) or if from Windows use those guides  This will rule out mechanical problems with machine. 

If it still is not acessing the inodes, I would next go to checking that you are set up correctly in the ""bios"" or the machine settings - not doing legacy, etc.
Still not - then it might be a Calmares thing.   

maybe take a peek at a different distro's install of debian variant also via Calamares installer ( but older Calamares) on hopefully a similar machine. 
https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6712.msg54690#msg54690  ##  Also a calamares install      translate unclear  == unklar  's post about the default Windows partions

well, translation below of unklar.

QuoteSorry for writing in German. ;) It may not be clear in English.
Your idea about sda3 is wrong. This is the w10 system, which should be preserved. :( So it would be a shot in your own foot.

- sda1 is the EFI (the boot loader) and on sda7 (according to the GPT) the backup for it
- sda2 and sda5 are again some backups of WIN
- sda3 as I said the system W10
- sda4 is Lenovo's gadget and backing it up again on sda6

I can not tell you what to do. It would be crucial again, what do you have for the emergency on CD and what can you do without.

sda3 would shrink / shrink, but I do not know if that would be so easy in the disk management of
Windows is possible, as is the case with WIN7. Since Windows is sensitive, gparted actions may be bad.

Also for your present situation and your goal
Do you have a functional Windows 10 system on this computer?       Are you going to dual boot or are you going to wipe windows 10 off and just run linux. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

SynthGal

Ugh I'm really sorry, I had a rough day and I haven't done anything you suggested.

But, to answer your question I plan on running this triple booted with my existing Win10 and CentOS7. CentOS is cool but there's a lot of stuff just flat out not in the repos and I want a more casual Linux environment. I'm fairly sure it's not the DVD drive because I actually had to recover from a GRUB corruption using the CentOS7's rescue terminal.

I can try a USB DVD drive tomorrow, but I'm a bit short on USB flash drives. I'll keep you posted.

paxmark1

If it worked with a different DVD, then it is much less likely the DVD player is being the culprit.  I did not talk about sha1 or md5 because of the output you posted about inodes. 
I probably should have   Check the dvd for the checksums
https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/verify_iso?s[]=sha1

Have you set up your hard drive prior (with Centos7) with lvm   Logical Volume Management.  Calamares was having problems with lvm in the past.  Still is I believe
https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/889       ## First comment
Quoteabucodonosor    Sorry but is not a bug lvm of any sort is not yet supported..

The sparky install option might handle lvm.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Capitain_Jack

Another thing to try is manualy boot into uefi mode, since the installation media is hybrid, on some boards even with uefi on top of list it boots legacy first, so you can give a try by acessing the boot menu order by hitting some "F" key, in most cases "F8", as since as you see any video signal (computer turning on) and than choose anything with "ACPI" or "UEFI" regarding the media (DVD or USB), you'll notice there is 2 options for the install media.
[UpDate]
In your case it's a different way to enter the boot menu, it is as follows:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Access-BIOS-on-Lenovo-Ideapad-300/td-p/3430972
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

SynthGal

MD5 checksum matches. I do not have LVM implemented.

Will try manual EFI boot later, I'm at school and don't have the disc. I had no idea about the NOVA button, dang.

SynthGal

Installed off of a USB stick I got at a job fair today. Everything boots fine, but the touchpad settings don't work and there's no brightness control.

I don't have time to go diving into config files right now so I guess no linux gaem 4 me.

pavroo

The brightness control can be fixed via installing 'sparky-backlight' package.
There is a few topics about touchpad so try to use the forum's search tool.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

penguin

Quote from: SynthGal on January 26, 2018, 03:19:58 AM
Installed off of a USB stick I got at a job fair today. Everything boots fine, but the touchpad settings don't work and there's no brightness control.

I don't have time to go diving into config files right now so I guess no linux gaem 4 me.

Do not give up. There is always a first time for every one.
You will like Linux and especially Sparky. Believe me.
Try a little bit harder , resolve problems and you will master themselves.I remember times ago my  mouse touch problems with Xubuntu. But this times has gone.

Capitain_Jack

Quote from: penguin on January 26, 2018, 01:39:31 PM
Do not give up. There is always a first time for every one.
You will like Linux and especially Sparky. Believe me.
Try a little bit harder , resolve problems and you will master themselves.I remember times ago my  mouse touch problems with Xubuntu. But this times has gone.
I agree totaly with him, but in your hardware, I would give kde-full + kde-window-manager a try, is a more complete solution that demands a little bit more of an old computer to run, but for your specs it will be easy task.

You can install sparky KDE, but it won't use opengl 2.0 as render as the kde-window-manager, and you can also change it to opengl 3.1, and take more advantage of crispy transparent graphics every where, also, all the functionalities of windows are there, actually is where they came from ( a copy of KDE work).

If you were an advanced user, I would recommend the minimal no gui iso, but that require a lot of install work by terminal, so first try making it graphicaly (aptus do have an desktop installer).
Albert Einstein

Capitain_Jack

But please, take a time do edit the first message title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of it if you feel the first issue is solved, than, after searching for the touchpad problem without finding a solution, than create a new appropriate topic, as new issues demand new topics and others can benefit from your solution on this specific issue. I would add the notebook model to the title as well.
Albert Einstein

View the most recent posts on the forum