Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

So many applets in my SparkyLinux LXDE

Started by Slyvester, July 17, 2015, 05:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slyvester

Hello,

When I look at the task-bar at the lower corner of the screen, I can see that I've got 4 applets "Network Manager 1.0.2" and a little further to the right another applet Network Manager again !
I checked the posts regarding this problem but they all talk about "no applet or apllet missing" like this one : http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,3192.0.html.
I'm using the defaults LXDE settings, no Wi-Fi (desktop Packard-Bell next to the modem) and simply using an Ethernet cable.
In Synaptic, I can see that Applet Network Manager 1.0.2 + network-manager-gnome are installed.
Before posting, I tried to uninstall some these nm-applets via /usr/bin/sparky-autostart. From the "Custom autostart editor", I see "nm-applet Network Manage your network connections" four times. I tried to Click right on one item to delete it , but it didn't work.
Anyway, it's not so boring but I'd like to get rid of some of those unnecessary applets.
How can I get to the "autostart editor" via leafpad or gedit to get the job done ?
Slyvester

pavroo

Hi
Looks like you have created a few launchers via Sparky Custom Autostart already.
Show me what is inside in autostart directory:
ls /home/user/.config/autostart
Change "user" for your user name.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Slyvester

Hi Pavroo,

Sorry for answering so late but yesterday I was tired of looking around tryng to find a solution to my problem. Anyway, here is what's inside the autostart directory :
slyvester@slyvester-desktop:~$ ls /home/slyvester/.config/autostart
0Conky.desktop       2(null).desktop   4Network.desktop     6Network.desktop
1Parcellite.desktop  3Network.desktop  5Parcellite.desktop  7Network.desktop
slyvester@slyvester-desktop:~$
Slyvester

Slyvester

Here is how my " /home/slyvester/.config/autostart " looks like today (screen shot) :

It seems like everytime I tried to delete one applet, I added one line instead.
Slyvester

pavroo

There are 4 files look like starting nm-applet:
3Network.desktop
4Network.desktop
6Network.desktop
7Network.desktop
Check the content of the files, if:
Exec=nm-applet
remove all the files from the directory.

Slyvester

Thanks for your answer. In the meantime & according to the few indications found on Google/Firefox, I opened the four files "nm-applet": "3Network.desktop + 4Network.desktop + 6Network.desktop + 7Network.desktop" and indicated in each "NoDisplay=true". This didn't work because upon next boot = the 4 unwanted "nm-applets" showed up again.
Now, I just followed your advice and I deleted the 4 nm-applets files from the directory " /home/slyvester/.config/autostart". Good surprise on the next reboot (which is now ! ) : no unnescessary "nm-applet" any more. That's actually what I thought at first : to simply remove all these nm-applets.
One last thing, I noticed something that could explain the source of my problem : I have another applet on the taskbar which is : "Network Manager Wicd". Should I remove "Wicd" via synaptic or just leave it ? Up to now, nobody in my surrounding is complaining about it ... Let me know what you think of it and you'll get - from me - the rest of the week-end off.
Many thanks for your help, Pavroo !
Slyvester

pavroo

If you have installed 'network-manager-gnome' and 'wicd' packages, you can remove one of them.
Network Manger Gnome is Sparky's default network manager so you can uninstall Wicd, but it's your choice.

Slyvester

That's exactly what I thought : there is too much crowd in my Network Managing System. I'm going to keep the Default Network Manager Gnome and remove Wicd.
Many thanks, Pavroo & enjoy your week-end !
Slyvester

paxmark1

It was quite common to go to 2 nm-applets in #!(CrunchBang).   Updates would put a new instanceinto one autostart location and not remove from another autostart location for openbox. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum