Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

adding Irfanview to repositories?

Started by lukand, June 13, 2024, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukand

Would it be possible to add the software mentioned above? It is included in PCLinuxOS, so why not to do the same for SparkyLinux?

TRon

Quoteadding Irfanview to repositories?
I am far from someone judging (other people's) questions and have always learned that there are no dumb ones to be asked... but this strikes me a question pretty close of being one.

Let me try to provide some reasons:
1. it is commercial software
2. it is Windows (only) software
3. It has an eula forbidding that what you just asked (unless granted permission)

So, when you ask why SparkyLinux can't do the same it would probably better to ask why PCLinuxOS does and if it has permission to do so and above all what the actual point of including it is.

But that is most probably just me so please do not take offense.

kanliot

Quote from: lukand on June 13, 2024, 01:26:53 PMWould it be possible to add irfanview It is included in PCLinuxOS, so why not to do the same for SparkyLinux?

I think I understand why you want a better image viewer.   I don't use one image viewer, I have to use several since none of them can replace things like Irfanview.

I currently use Mirage since it does sorting and slideshows,   lximage-qt for viewing webp images quickly. and tacentview for cropping screenshots.   also I use Feh, for quickly scrolling through images.

irfanview is packaged for easy install here: https://snapcraft.io/install/irfanview/ubuntu   I doubt that it will work really well, since it's a wine application and other parts of your system will not know about irfanview.

AxL

Quote from: lukand on June 13, 2024, 01:26:53 PMWould it be possible to add the software mentioned above? It is included in PCLinuxOS, so why not to do the same for SparkyLinux?

With the huge amount of 'Libre Software' for viewing and editing images available on GNU/Linux.

I find the request for this proprietary software, totally inappropriate.

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

View the most recent posts on the forum