Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Skype Install / Upgrade 'Broken' Due to Microsoft Changes (Bug)

Started by duststuff, June 04, 2024, 03:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duststuff

As @Henry1 mentioned in post #9 of this topic,
QuoteAccording to this thread of 2 weeks ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/download-the-deb-installation-file-for-debian/73b4fea5-736c-4513-9422-b331d77c4343 the latest version of Skype (8.119.0.201) isn't available for Debian as a .deb file. Microsoft has discontinued providing .deb packages for Skype on Linux.

I've tested this and it is still possible to install version 8.109.0.209 using APTus AppCenter, but if the Skype repo is active, then it unnecessarily slows down the system upgrade / update process because of trying and failing repeatedly to access this repo before eventually moving on.

Because the latest version of Skype can no longer be installed and because having its repo active interferes with the upgrade process, I think this should be considered a 'bug' that should be 'fixed'. I don't know of the best way to do this, but I thought I should bring it to the developers' attention so that it can be addressed if/when they are able to.

Henry1

Hi Dustin,

Any news regarding Skype update? The version available for Debian has been released at the end of September 2023 and for security reasons the new version should be released asap. Thank you in advance Dustin for taking care of this situation.

Regards

Henry

duststuff

Hi Henry,

I'm not aware of any update. So based on what we know regarding Microsoft's position on this, it seems the only options for using Skype on a Linux PC are via 'snap' or a browser (official) or via 'flatpak' (unofficial). Personally, I'll likely look for a Skype alternative to use, although I may still use it sometimes via a browser or the mobile app (eg. on a phone).

Cheers,
Dustin

Henry1

Hi Dustin,

In case of need I will use Skype via browser as I don't trust at all Snap while Skype via Flathub is too heavy and is "unverified"...I think this bug will be difficult to fix.

Regards
Henry

duststuff

Hi, Henry. I'm assuming the best way to fix this bug is for the developer(s) to not allow the Debian version of Skype to be installed via APTus AppCenter, and then to also somehow prevent (or help users to know how to prevent) the repo of the Debian version of Skype from unnecessarily slowing down the update process. (Just to clarify, the bug I'm addressing with this topic is the Skype repo's interference with the update process, not trying to find a new way of installing a Debian version of Skype.) ---Dustin

Henry1

Hi Dustin,

The problem is that Microsoft has suddenly stopped the deb.files for Skype forcing (typical from Microsoft) users to download via Snap (Linux Mint has blocked by default Snap for privacy and security reasons); I will unistall the old version of Skype's APTus App center and use it via browser waiting for a solution.

Regards
Henry

duststuff

Yes, Henry, I understand that, but that is not the bug I'm reporting in this topic. And unless Microsoft changes their policy on this, you may be waiting a long time for a solution that involves a DEB install file for Skype. :-) Cheers, ---Dustin

Henry1

Hi Dustin,

I understand the bug you reported in your topic but I was just explaining (personal opinion) why I won't use Snap or Flatpak to download Skype; while upgrading the system yesterday, I got an update for Skype (I opened another topic asking Pavroo) which I don't understand, maybe related to the bug of updating Skype without having its repo enabled (mine is disabled).

Best Regards,

Henry

pavroo

Due to removed the skype.deb (no updates so far) by MS, it will be removed from APTus soon.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

duststuff

@Henry1, okay, I understand.

@pavroo, thanks for this information. Once it's removed from APTus, feel free to PM me or leave a note here, and I'll mark this as 'Solved'.

Henry1

Thank you Pavroo and Dustin,

I will use Skype via browser.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Henry

View the most recent posts on the forum