Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Testing and Security Question

Started by grg3, December 31, 2022, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grg3

I was told on Reddit that I was a bad person for suggesting Debian testing (SparkyLinux Rolling) to anyone, because of the lack of security updates in testing.

While I realize that testing does not get security updates, my view is that the packages come from Sid where there are security updates.

So, I am curious what everyone's view is regarding this subject. My experience with Sparky semi-rolling has been good, so far.

AxL

Quote from: grg3 on December 31, 2022, 10:24:05 PMI was told on Reddit that I was a bad person for suggesting Debian testing (SparkyLinux Rolling) to anyone, because of the lack of security updates in testing.

While I realize that testing does not get security updates, my view is that the packages come from Sid where there are security updates.

So, I am curious what everyone's view is regarding this subject. My experience with Sparky semi-rolling has been good, so far.

• Debian -- Debian security FAQ

Quote from: Debian security FAQ #testingQ: How is security handled for testing?

A: Security for testing benefits from the security efforts of the entire project for unstable. However, there is a minimum two-day migration delay, and sometimes security fixes can be held up by transitions. The Security Team helps to move along those transitions holding back important security uploads, but this is not always possible and delays may occur. Especially in the months after a new stable release, when many new versions are uploaded to unstable, security fixes for testing may lag behind. If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly encouraged to stay with stable.

Cheers !!!
➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

AxL

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

View the most recent posts on the forum