Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Ongoing Sparky Updates

Started by RetiredIT, November 14, 2022, 02:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredIT

I have Sparky 7 2022.03 MATE installed on my test laptop which is based on Debian Bookworm. I would like to know if the repositories will automatically update to Debian Trixie or Forky when those are released in the future. My goal is to install Sparky ONCE and then have it update continuously. Thank you.

pavroo

Sparky based on Debian testing is semi-rolling, not rolling.
It means when present Debian and Sparky testing become automatically stable, what you have to do is changing Debian and Sparky repos to new testing repos, thats all.
I will post about that on Sparky blog when new Sparky testing repos will be ready.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

RetiredIT

It gets to be a bear every 3-5 years to do a fresh install plus copying data files for hours when you have several laptops to keep up. I simply can't understand why distro developers can't wite scripts like Ubuntu does to automatically upgrade to the latest release. Hoping that Sparky continues to mature in the future. Thanks! 

pavroo

It gets every 2 years about.
I don't understand you if scripts like that exist:
https://sparkylinux.org/sparky-dist-upgrade-script/

Anyway, if Sparky could have so many developers as Ubuntu has, many things could be done faster...
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

RetiredIT

I used Ubuntu from Ver. 5.10 through Ver. 10.10 before that ugly Unity desktop ruined everything. Plus I tested other versions of the Ubuntu family. The upgrade from one version to another never failed me. A couple of clicks and it upgraded to the next release. That was then. This is now. Ubuntu has lost it and has no clear strategy or plan for the desktop. Hence, I am running other distros like MX Linux and testing additional others as well. Thanks again.

View the most recent posts on the forum