Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

on startup Sparky KDE taking 75 seconds from first splash to desktop

Started by Nommo, August 22, 2022, 04:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommo

Too long! Any way to shorten this time? Someone mentioned Blueman bluetooth searching for signal. My pc doesn't have bluetooth but the control for it shows just an empty window, i.e. maybe it's disabled.

nevertheless

I think you have to use the command systemd-analyze blame. It's been a long time since I've had to figure that out. You may have to google about it. It (or something) will show you all the processes and how long they're taking. You should be able to see something is causing the delay.

If it's really a problem, you could run the Antix distro (or MX Linux, but it's not lightweight. Antix is lightweight, but more lightweight than Sparky. Not as polished desktop experience.). Those boot the old, relatively straightforward sys-init, not the blackbox systemd. (You can actually boot either way with those. But, they default to sysinit.). It's easier (more straightforward) to investigate in logs. Back when I had to use "blame," it still didn't show me what I needed to see, and I've had a bad vibe about systemd ever since. But, I haven't had a problem either.

151tom

I would go in to the startup manager / session startup settings and disable the apps that you do not use or that do not need to be started when you power on or restart your computer.

Apps that are not needed to be started when you power on or restart your computer can create a longer start time from my experience.

If Blueman / Bluetooth is not needed then I would disable it at startup.

As for systemd I've never noticed any difference in startup times vs system-init distro.

Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
[Mark Twain]

bobbiescap

Press esc when Sparky starts loading and the splash screen will be replaced with a running text dialogue of what the system is doing, and issues encountered. This is generally saved as the boot log, which you can access later, but watching the dialogue while the system boots will generally show you what it stalls on.

You can enable a fast boot mode, which disables file system checks. This is not ideal, especially with older hardware.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-bypassing-fsck/

View the most recent posts on the forum